Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You got a very good deal on what is considered an excellent mower and engine. It takes a lot of work to make up $5550, and I personally would not want a liquid cooled engine on a mower.

You will never replace a radiator, or even cleaned one, never have a water leak, or water pump failure, never have to check coolant levels, worry about watching a temperature gauge, as many hired laborers never look at anyway. You will never wonder how a head gasket failed, or a head cracked if the engine does not have the alarm system working, and someone failed to see it was running hot...these are things you want deal with on air cooled engine.

The reason I'm saying this is because I was brought a new mower with a 28 hp Cat diesel to see what I thought. The first thing I noticed was the extreme vibration from the 3 cylinder engine. I mentioned this to the dealer and he said the manufacturer was sending a newly designed bracket to each owner that bought this particular diesel; for the fact they were having problems with the exhaust system separating from the engine because of excessive vibration from the 3 cylinder Cat.

I ran this mower for maybe 30 minutes or so (remember this was a new mower, never operated, meaning perfectly clean), and all of a sudden the engine rpms dropped to idle. I was totally shocked, and believed something happen to the fuel delivery, that was until I looked at the control panel and saw a warning light. I got off the mower and glanced behind the seat at the radiator, there was a pre-screen to keep trash from getting to the radiator flues (which is a necessity), and the pre-screen was totally covered. I was cutting medium size grass in dry summertime conditions, and it appeared all the dry grass particles I had stirred up when mowing had sucked directly into this pre-screen.

I had to leave the mower and walk about 200 yds. to get a hand-held blower, I came back, switched the mower off and blew the trash off the screen and out of the radiator area. I then blew the entire mower and engine completely clean.

I immediately thought to myself, why would anyone want to deal with this hassle when you can run an air cooled engine and not be bothered with this type aggravation.
Yes I ran a lc Kawi 29DFI TT demo when they came out around 4 years ago. I got it overheated running in dusty dry conditions within an hour. So I've stuck with air cooled ever since then.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

You must have had bad luck with these - we're running multiple units now and haven't had any problems. It does use a little coolant, but not anything to be concerned about. We used to use the 29 Kawi FI but like these better....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach14604 View Post
The 31 Kohler is absolute piece of junk. good on fuel but uses coolant likes its going out of style. I was on engine number three and still wasn't totally right. Thing spent more time in the shop then mowed grass.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblc View Post
You must have had bad luck with these - we're running multiple units now and haven't had any problems. It does use a little coolant, but not anything to be concerned about. We used to use the 29 Kawi FI but like these better....

You know there is a problem with mach's engine, they do not use coolant. There may be a small amount of loss through evaporation, but if it is going into the engine and the exhaust smoke is white, the problem needs to be addressed.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 2 of the tigers with the big block in them. Over 700 hrs and not 1 problem. These things will cut some grass.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

check your scag

Pull your back wheels off and check for cracks on the pad that the wheel motor is attached to I have two scag tiger cats and both mowers have cracks in the bolt holes where the motor is bolted. One of the mowers is less than a year old and has less than 700 hours. We have 2 of these and both are cracked in the same places on both sides. We have contacted SCAG about this issue and recieved no help whatsoever nobody even showed up to look at it....VERY DISAPPOINTED IN SERVICE!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We just recently bought a Cheetah with the Vanguard. Very nice mower
Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagnomore View Post
Pull your back wheels off and check for cracks on the pad that the wheel motor is attached to I have two scag tiger cats and both mowers have cracks in the bolt holes where the motor is bolted. One of the mowers is less than a year old and has less than 700 hours. We have 2 of these and both are cracked in the same places on both sides. We have contacted SCAG about this issue and recieved no help whatsoever nobody even showed up to look at it....VERY DISAPPOINTED IN SERVICE!!!
I'm very sorry to see and hear about this, and I must say this is a first. I can't believe Scag would not be interested in this, they need to see the failure so they can make sure it does not happen again.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Absolutely not, the warranty would be void...no one except Cat technicians are allowed to touch these engines.
Catapillar has absolutly nothing to do with the design or manufacturing of their small 3 cylinder engines used in the ZTR mowers. It is designed by Perkins and made in Japan by Shibaura, the same company that makes the small compact tractors for New Holland/Case. Before I would let a Cat tech work on a small 3 cylinder Cat engine I would call up my local New Holland/Case dealer and ask them about any issues. I would lay dollars to doughnuts they will know more about the small 3 cylinder Shibaura engines than a Cat tech that works on big monster engines every day and never has even seen one of the little "Cat"/Perkins/Shibaura engines in his shop. The only thing "Cat" about these engines are the stickers and the paint color. My dad owns a little 3 cylinder Shibura/Case compact tractor and they are killer engines. Never a lick of trouble. Very powerful with lots of torque.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had a 72" Sabre tooth with a 31 turbo Daihatsu. The biggest downside I found was the heat the engine generated-It was like sitting in front of an oven while operating and that's not good when it's already 98 degrees. In fact, the radiator is so close to you, my arm strayed a little behind me one day and I burned it on the radiator-The weight difference is really noticeable to in my opinion-my mower felt like lead weight when I was running it and it was not nimble in the least bit. The vibration is really high also-things loosen up-had a ground on my starter loosen up one night and I had to winch it onto the trailer and drive it 40 minutes to fix it. I looked for 2 hrs to find the problem and couldn't because it was 11PM at night. That was inconvenient and has never happened with a gas burner. Overall, I'd stick with the gas.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I'm very sorry to see and hear about this, and I must say this is a first. I can't believe Scag would not be interested in this, they need to see the failure so they can make sure it does not happen again.
One of our mowers was down for well over a month right in the middle of mowing season waiting on Scag to come look at the problem and maybe give us some help. Thanks to having the best welding shop and machine shop in the area, we had them make us some 1/2 in plates that weld up to the locations where the frame is cracking.
There is only one man that uses both mowers, and they are always well maitained and kept up. We bolted these plates up to the frame and then we had our welding shop weld the 1/2 plate to the frame.
Attached Images