Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

93Chevy,

Please get a..............aahhh screw it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Patriot,

Please..... Errrr, nevermind.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

On a recent job I found that the actual planting wasn't much different between 2 gallon and 10 gallon -- if I had the hole already there. All sizes ran about 6 per hour. Depending on the shape of the pot. (I never see #7's here, but I'm guessing 14" across and about the same high.) you would need a 20" auger, or a 16" auger, over dig the hole, then scalp the sod in to partially fill the hole, jumping up and down to pack it, until you get up to the right depth.

20" means at least a groundhog, but more likely a small skid steer, or a lot of hand labour. With the skidsteer, it's a a few minutes per hole, then hours cleaning up the damage. With a ground hog it's 10 minutes per hole, and a few minutes cleaning up the damage.

My normal bid for this sort of thing, is the price of the tree, per tree. So if the Cypress are $50 each, then $50/tree. I'll modify that if the soil is hard. I turned down one job because there was no access for machinery, and the land should have been a brick factory.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I love when old threads get "dug" up. Its funny to see who is still around. Usually the newbie with crazy ideas is long gone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That was a fun thread, wasn't it, Patriot. So long ago that I was a different person.......dirtandhoops.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought the pricing some of these guys were giving was nuts!! I hope but I doubt some of these guys are still around.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

LOL, sometimes I crack myself up. Usually it's just me though

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

@AzLawnman

Explain nuts. Too low, too high? Put it in context of local wage?

Here in Alberta, a kid can leave school in grade 10, and make 70K/year in the oil patch. Minimum wage is $8/hour, but even a gas station pump jockey in a small town gets $10.

So instead of laughing, explain what you mean.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just planted 3000 3 gallon plants this week, i did it pretty cheap per plant. But i did it in 3.5 days with 4 guys and a one man echo auger. If you can find a way to be really efficient, you can do things alot cheaper. On the same job, we did 40,000 sq ft of sod in one day. But we did it with 48" sod rolls.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbotsford View Post
On a recent job I found that the actual planting wasn't much different between 2 gallon and 10 gallon -- if I had the hole already there. All sizes ran about 6 per hour. Depending on the shape of the pot. (I never see #7's here, but I'm guessing 14" across and about the same high.) you would need a 20" auger, or a 16" auger, over dig the hole, then scalp the sod in to partially fill the hole, jumping up and down to pack it, until you get up to the right depth.

20" means at least a groundhog, but more likely a small skid steer, or a lot of hand labour. With the skidsteer, it's a a few minutes per hole, then hours cleaning up the damage. With a ground hog it's 10 minutes per hole, and a few minutes cleaning up the damage.

My normal bid for this sort of thing, is the price of the tree, per tree. So if the Cypress are $50 each, then $50/tree. I'll modify that if the soil is hard. I turned down one job because there was no access for machinery, and the land should have been a brick factory.
I use a mini skid on tracks with an auger... no turf damage. I never charge by plant material costs. I bid it by man hours then if i am feeling greedy add a little gravy. Like starry night said, are really going to charge $300 for jap maple when it is in 15 gallon bucket? That .5 man hours for that to be in the ground. Damn good money if you can get it, but i usually have to bid against someone or if not... I have a conscience