Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

What can I do? Help me out please.

I have been having this problem since I purchased my mower in August, but I love it so much I don't know what to do. It's a love/hate relationship.

I mow mostly tall fescue & kentucky bluegrass lawns here in east tennessee. My brand new scag tigercat is leaving a strip of grass on the inside of the left tire. It will also leave major stragglers. On some lawns more than others.

I have taken it to the dealer twice now. I have to take it again anyway do to the recent recall on most Kawasaki engines I'm sure is affecting a lot of you. I will get them to take a look again.

Until then however I want to try a few things:
1)Blades: What blades does everyone use? I have heard a lot about Gator blades.
2)Baffle: I am aware about the adjustable baffle. What would be the best setting? What do most of you do? I had moved it down to 3 1/4 or 3 1/2 I believe. I cant tell a huge difference. I think I might try to move it up.
3) Anything you guys can think of!

SCAG mowers
STIHL power equipment
Redmax trimmers
Chevy
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sharp blades, high lift blades, correct pitch, clean underside of deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Will do. Besides the last one; new mower!

SCAG mowers
STIHL power equipment
Redmax trimmers
Chevy
Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Has it been dry where you are? If so dry fine fescue has caused problems all over the country with all types of mowers. You may have to wait til next season to see how it cuts.

I run high lift blades with the front skirt in the middle position on my Scags.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Scrape the deck at least twice a week and keep the blades sharp and your speed appropriate for the conditions. The high vacuum of those decks makes a huge mess under there. Easy trade off for how well they cut though.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
Scrape the deck at least twice a week and keep the blades sharp and your speed appropriate for the conditions. The high vacuum of those decks makes a huge mess under there. Easy trade off for how well they cut though.
Just a thought, it may need to be scraped twice a day. I mowed yesterday while everything was pretty soaked from 2 days of rain and scraped two 5 gal buckets full out of my deck after 4 hours of mowing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips. This is my first scag so I am dissapointed in the cut quality. Don't get me wrong, it can lay down some beautiful stripes. I chose scag because I always heard nothing but good things. The cut quality as of now however, compares to my Cub Cadet I had before this 😩.

I was also thinking maybe cutting height & speed. I cut at 3 1/2. I know you're suppose to cut high. I lowered it down to 3 1/4. Slight difference. As far as speed goes. I'm 3/4-full speed most the time I mow. I now mostly flat ground so I figure this wouldn't and shouldn't affect the performance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd wait until spring. I think you'll see a big difference when the grass is standing up and growing. Fescue is the hardest grass to cut because it always wants to lay down. If the lawn is somewhat thin then you'll really notice it.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

That's my plan. Being so close to the end of the season; I don't want to fool with it too much. It'll still be under warranty in the spring if the problem persists. I'll adjust the baffle up & get the blades sharpened up & balanced b4 the end of this season.

I've tried to get the blades off, but the spindles spin even with the blades blocked!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBlade View Post
That's my plan. Being so close to the end of the season; I don't want to fool with it too much. It'll still be under warranty in the spring if the problem persists. I'll adjust the baffle up & get the blades sharpened up & balanced b4 the end of this season.

I've tried to get the blades off, but the spindles spin even with the blades blocked!
Posted via Mobile Device
There is a long bolt that goes all the way through the blades with a nut on top. When we change ours it's a 15/16 wrench on top 15/16 socket on bottom with a breaker bar. If you have an impact gun the nut on top. We have a scag tiger cat and cheetah, both are 61 inch cut and I have scag eliminator blades on the cat, and G-6 blades on the cheetah. I like the G-6 blades better so when the eliminator's are wore out I'll buy more G-6's

Tags
baffle , kentucky , scag , tall fescue , tigercat