Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

First planting contract.

I'm normally only a tree farmer. I grow for other people to plant.

When the country planned on replanting a local park, I was asked to bid. Park was interesting. Black spruce, normally a creature of the swamps, on top of a sandy hill. Lodgepole pine, by the pond.

I put together a proposal and to my surprise got it. They were on a budget, and didn't see a lot of point in spending money on large expensive trees. The largest tree planted was a 10 foot birch at 1.25" caliper, ranging on down to 4 foot poplar at 1/2" caliper.

Total planting:
45 4 foot okanese poplar #2 pot $16 base price
9 10 foot paper birch #10 grow bag $90
6 7 foot siberian larch #7 pail $40
6 3 foot lodgepole pine #10 grow bag $40
3 5 foot scots pine #7 pail $50
3 4 foot ponderosa pine #7 pail $50
3 1 foot mountain pine #2 pot $16
3 1 foot austrian pine #2 pot $16

All #2 pot $16 each.
6 amur maple
6 saskatoon
9 high bush cranberry
3 green alder
3 sea buckthorn
9 redosier dogwood
3 native chokecherry
3 native pincherry

Agreement: The county had equipment, but no expertise, so we agreed that they would dig the holes for me. They would provide mulch (bark chips) on site. I would provide weed barrier, and would provide rough clean up of excess dirt after.

We modified this on site, as the local soil was mostly sand. They dug all the holes out to 2 feet and provided top soil. I raked the surplus soil out away from each site, to make it easy to pick up with the skid steer, then did a final rake after the skid steer picked up what it could.

Price for planting was the price of the tree. Eg. a $16 shrub was $32 planted. For this, I agreed to plant, mulch, fertilize for 2 years, and guarantee the plant against dying. (but warranty was NOT valid for rampaging moose, children, and similar hazards.)

75% due on completion of planting and inspection, 20% due after 1 year, 5% due after 2 years.

Overall I figured that I averaged 3-4 trees per hour, working on my own. The site is a 15 minute drive from my farm. I worked there 5 hours a day (I still ahve trees to care for at home.)

Overall the contract is worth $6+ K. I will have to spend 2 hours each fall and spring doing the fertilizing. I expect to replace 5% of the trees over the length of the contract.

Comments?