Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
If that's the case, I'll charge her for the extra time spent tying up the other bungee. I spent 5 mins untying them both just to get in the back yard last week...
Just do your job and be happy. Charging a lady more because you have to secure her gate each time is ridiculous. I'd fire you in a heartbeat if you acted that way with me.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is this really a serious question??? You were too lazy to put the second bungee cord back on (Which is the way you found the gate) and her dog got out, STOP BEING LAZY AND DO YOUR JOB.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Apologize for the dog getting out. Go buy a bicycle chain and lock, or something similar and put it on the gate for her, giving her a key, and keeping one for yourself. Problem solved, and you'll go from zero to hero.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
Apologize for the dog getting out. Go buy a bicycle chain and lock, or something similar and put it on the gate for her, giving her a key, and keeping one for yourself. Problem solved, and you'll go from zero to hero.
Are you serious? He wants to charge her MORE to put the other bungee cord back on. Spending money would definitely be out of the question for him.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Whether on a 1/4 acre or 1,400 acre property gates must be left the exact way that you find them. Open then leave open, closed, leave closed, latched exactly the same way you found them.

Many people when hiking in rural areas unfortunately do not know proper gate etiquette. This is why more land owners are posting their property's.

It is not for the vistor to need to know why the property owner wants the gate left open or closed. Just to respect the property owner's wishes.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

heh heh, OP, i feel your pain. Not the answers wanted see, huh?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If she has a rediculous system with securing her gate and its difficult for you to re-secure when you leave, you should tell her you dont feel comfortable doing it in future and in a polite way let her know she will need to secure the gate in her own way before she lets the dogs out. Its not your gate or your gate securing system, if it was a normal gate latch and straight forward that would be fine. but this is her made up system, her dogs, her property, HER responsibility to make sure her gate is secure BEFORE letting her dogs out again. If the job is a very good one and you dont want to lose it, then take the extra time to make certain the gate is secure, but if its just like your other 50 odd lawns and nothing special about it, then I would tell her you dont feel comfortable using these straps as your concerned if the dogs get out she will hold you responsible. Its her property, her responsibilty. If she wants people to cut her lawns, she either fixes the gates or secures them herself!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
If that's the case, i'll charge her for the extra time spent tieing up the other bungy. I spent 5 mins untieing them both just to get in the back yard last week...
Can you post pictures of this contraption so we can see why it would take 5 minutes for two bungee cords? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
If she has a rediculous system with securing her gate and its difficult for you to re-secure when you leave, you should tell her you dont feel comfortable doing it in future and in a polite way let her know she will need to secure the gate in her own way before she lets the dogs out. Its not your gate or your gate securing system, if it was a normal gate latch and straight forward that would be fine. but this is her made up system, her dogs, her property, HER responsibility to make sure her gate is secure BEFORE letting her dogs out again. If the job is a very good one and you dont want to lose it, then take the extra time to make certain the gate is secure, but if its just like your other 50 odd lawns and nothing special about it, then I would tell her you dont feel comfortable using these straps as your concerned if the dogs get out she will hold you responsible. Its her property, her responsibilty. If she wants people to cut her lawns, she either fixes the gates or secures them herself!
Are you serious? Read below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokerTurbo7.3 View Post
Can you post pictures of this contraption so we can see why it would take 5 minutes for two bungee cords? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd love to see what is taking 5 minutes to secure two bungee cords. I'd hate to think what panhead would charge if she had THREE bungee cords on the gate. Good god, he might have to call a "lock" smith to figure it out.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Apologize and buy and install a latch for $5 if you can't be bothered to attach a bungie cord. I have altered fences and gates many times to suit my purposes, with customer permission of course. I have it written into my agreements that I am not responsible for pets getting loose, but I will still do everything I can to make sure they don't.