Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSlandco View Post
Its all about pure volume. Valley crest and TruGreen each gross about a Billion dollars a year in revenue. They obviously dont do it from one single branch. Each branch grosses approx. 3million give or take depending on the branch. In order to compete with them you have to be doing at least over a million. Sometimes they under bid the maintenance work on properties and they pick up the slack with irrigation repairs, color installations and enhancement work.
It would be interesting to see some of their formulas... I guess how wally world has their loss leaders in order to bring you into the store, these major national LCOs have to be willing to eat some up on somethings... It would make for a great episode of Undercover Boss. haha.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSlandco View Post
Its all about pure volume. Valley crest and TruGreen each gross about a Billion dollars a year in revenue. They obviously dont do it from one single branch. Each branch grosses approx. 3million give or take depending on the branch. In order to compete with them you have to be doing at least over a million. Sometimes they under bid the maintenance work on properties and they pick up the slack with irrigation repairs, color installations and enhancement work.
There's a company by me that tries this same thing. Problem is, it caught up with him and lost him a huge job. I believe it was in the $2M a year range.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Man youre 14 stick with the resi, theres no way they want a 14 year old kid running mowers on there grounds. Im 19 and just got into bidding commercial.
Stihl FC95
Stihl FS110R FS90R
RedMax 8050
Husqvarna Saw

www.PremierTurfManagement.com
Old 10-04-2012, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates Lawn Care View Post
Man youre 14 stick with the resi, theres no way they want a 14 year old kid running mowers on there grounds. Im 19 and just got into bidding commercial.
Good point, he's possibly not even legal to be operating power equipment. Might be a grey area working for his dad, but no way is a hospital going to allow that.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
It would be interesting to see some of their formulas... I guess how wally world has their loss leaders in order to bring you into the store, these major national LCOs have to be willing to eat some up on somethings... It would make for a great episode of Undercover Boss. haha.
It is a lot more simple than you might think. Do you think TruGreen would get mad if i posted their spreadsheets?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Good point, he's possibly not even legal to be operating power equipment. Might be a grey area working for his dad, but no way is a hospital going to allow that.
I don't think any commercial property will go for a 14 worker on their property especially with no W/C. It is grey area but when I worked for my father in high school I still wasn't allowed to run power tools until I was 16. Maybe labor laws have changed?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had a long post that did not go through this morning. I'm not going to try and rewrite this.

CEO's of hospitals make high 6 figure salaries. They are not about to risk their job to hire a 14 yo kid. They are not even going to give a 14 yo kid a meeting to hear his presentation on how his landscape business is the best one to serve their hospital.

You do not have a steady experienced crew large enough to service a hospital. You do not have the enough equipment to service a hospital in a timely manner.

At 14 you do not have the knowledge to maintain the Landscape of a hospital. Where I live the good commercial accounts have lawns better then you will find on sod farms. Shrubs that never look like they need to be trimmed. Spring flowers planted in extensive beds all around the property then replaced with summer flowers, then replaced with fall flowers. So many flowers they have 5-6 men crews to plant them.

At 14 do you know what flowers to recommend for each season if they ask you?

Landscaping any large commercial accounts that expects high quality results is not going to trust and take a chance on a 24 yo solo equipped they way you are, let alone a 14 yo.

I salute your work ethic. Best to grow with residentials and some small commercials if you eventually want to go with the later.

Graduate with a AAS degree in Horticulture, Landscape Design, etc.
Build up your equipment list and accounts then you will be equipped to go follow your goals. Luck.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) sets 14 years of age as the minimum age for employment, but restricts hours of work and allowable occupations for 14- and 15-year-olds. Rules and prohibited jobs vary depending on the age of the youth worker and his or her occupation

Hazardous work. FLSA prohibits minors under age 18 years old to work in any occupation that it deems to be hazardous. Among these occupations are excavation, manufacturing explosives, mining, and operating many types of power-driven equipment. Certain industries allow minors under age 18 to perform certain tasks at worksites whose primary work activity is dangerous, but these tasks are very specific and the state and federal government closely monitor compliance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If this is him and his fathers business where is he during all this. Isn't this the same kid whose equipment was a standon being pulled by minivan? I call shenanagans on any 14yo with enough capital to run crews and bid big accounts. It just doesn't happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jovingo Landscaping View Post
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) sets 14 years of age as the minimum age for employment, but restricts hours of work and allowable occupations for 14- and 15-year-olds. Rules and prohibited jobs vary depending on the age of the youth worker and his or her occupation

Hazardous work. FLSA prohibits minors under age 18 years old to work in any occupation that it deems to be hazardous. Among these occupations are excavation, manufacturing explosives, mining, and operating many types of power-driven equipment. Certain industries allow minors under age 18 to perform certain tasks at worksites whose primary work activity is dangerous, but these tasks are very specific and the state and federal government closely monitor compliance.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm still pretty sure they aren't allowed to run power tools, either air or with a combustion engine. Once again, I might be wrong. So if that's the case what does a 14 year old do? Walk around with shears to cut the grass?