Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

No Respect for the profession

I run my part-time lawn and landscape business in a very professional manner.
Fully insured, licensed for pest app on turf and ornamental, nutrient management certified for fert app. US DOT certified for the truck and trailer.

Truck has company logo and all license numbers.

I conduct myself in a professional manner in both verbal and written communication.

I keep my customers long term.

I feel I represent the industry very well. We should all try to be the best we can be.

Please don't think I'm trying to make myself out to be better than someone else as a person. I'm very humble and I thank the Lord for all he has done for me. Couldn't have done it without him.

As I said I'm part-time. In my full time job I work for the State Dept. of Agriculture as Soil Conservation Planner. We help farmers protect soil and water resources on their farmland which in turn helps the Chesapeake Bay, the largest estuary in the US.

I don't tell my customers that I'm part-time, I don't think it matters either way but I still don't.
When they do find out what my full time job is its like I've been elevated to a higher level which makes me believe the business itself doesn't get much respect.

It happened this year with a second year client. She practically bowed down to me.

Had another client who just found out and said I feel better with you taking care of my lawn because you know what you are doing. I've had him for about six years and I never heard that before. Same work same results.

I've always kept a high standard I set for myself and my work but now I'm better at what I do?

And even a new client I just picked up a few weeks ago who has seen me in the area for years asked me point blank what my full time job is. I felt like he was saying you couldn't possibly be doing just this for a living.

I'm not complaining, I'm fine with it. My situation sounds like it will have a positive outcome.

It just seems to me the lawn/landscape business doesn't get the respect it deserves.