Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting More Customers

I see all of the semi- big and big companies around me getting and lots of accounts, this is my first full year in the business , I am struggling to get above 20 accounts. What is the best way to let people know I am out there in terms of advertisement. I use a low cost method of handing out flyers right now.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
I see all of the semi- big and big companies around me getting and lots of accounts, this is my first full year in the business , I am struggling to get above 20 accounts. What is the best way to let people know I am out there in terms of advertisement. I use a low cost method of handing out flyers right now.
Economic times are tough right now, and it's harder than ever to compete with the well known companies. I hate to say it, but in today's market, your advertising budget needs to be larger than your equipment budget. If you spend 30K on equipment, and 1K on advertising, you're fighting an uphill battle.
You have to first build a "presence" for your business, get the name out there, and put it in front of as many people as possible, and as often as possible. After a while, osmosis will take effect and your business name will be more "recognized". After that, make sure that whatever clients you start off with are 199% happy with not only your work, but your professionalism, dependability, and attention to detail. Word of mouth will spread, and as you gain credibility, you will grow. Just don't be one of the companies that gets a contract, and does an awesome job for the first month and becomes "complacent". Many fall to this, and try to cut time to make more money..........they usually lose the contract. Around here, the "lowballers" are dropping like flys, and the quality providers are growing. Hang in there, and don't try to be the cheapest, try to be the best. It will pay off in the long run. Best of luck to you!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
How many flyers are you handing out currently? I find that you will get a 1% return on flyers. This means that you need to go beat the streets in neighborhoods that contain your target demographic. Passing out flyers is hard work and no one wants to do it, so make sure you are targeting the homes you want to/know you can get. If you mow for a living then you should be able to pass out 100+ flyers per hour (read 1 customer gained each hour). This is in a densely populated area like a subdivision.
Hope this helps,
Jake
Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Word of mouth is the best advertising. Treat your customers right and they will sell your services for you. Also just because the other guys is getting a lot of accounts that he is making a large profit from those accounts. Some people don't realize they are working for free until it's too late, maybe those other guys are in that boat?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Sponsor

It seems to be the number one question here. As the internet guy I'd ask what are you doing in that area, so many people start their search on the internet. Things you can do for free
1. Facebook- ask your current customers to "like and share" this is virtual word of mouth
2. Google Places- Great for local search if you don't have a website link to your facebook page or selfishly a profile on my site
3. Craigslist. - Lot of work to maintain the postings and many people say it's not worth the effort, others swear by it. But again it's free.

Good luck
Phil

Last edited by ptjackson; 10-08-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've taken a slightly different approach. I'm trying to get more work out of my existing customers.

Make sure that your customers are aware of all the services you provide and even suggest things you see that are in need of being done.

I had one mowing customer ask me to trim her Boxwood hedges on each side of her front door. It was a good opportunity for me to mention to her that all of her shrubs really needed pruning...seeing them every day she really didn't realize that were overgrown and out of shape. Some had never been trimmed.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Sponsor

Getting More Customers

Set up a website and use the instant online quote feature from Acculawnsystems.com to give instant online quotes. Most property owners are very impressed and will sign up online. Also, when you pass out flyers make sure to add a section that says "get a free instant online quote at www.yourwebsite.com. Sign up today and receive the discount states on the quote." See what the homeowner will see at www.acculawncare.com.