Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-22-2012, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Building a better mouse trap is one thing. But convincing the mouse (me the consumer) to walk on one 1 foot and dance like Mikael Jackson is no going to sell me a better mouse trap.

Build a better product and the public will beat a path to your door. All other smoke and mirrors will drive todays savvy consumers away.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardin53 View Post
Building a better mouse trap is one thing. But convincing the mouse (me the consumer) to walk on one 1 foot and dance like Mikael Jackson is no going to sell me a better mouse trap.

Build a better product and the public will beat a path to your door. All other smoke and mirrors will drive todays savvy consumers away.
Ditto on that, i'm more interested to see how this product line will be supported. I.e. dealers, etc....

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 09-24-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mean to sound like I am against anyone trying new things. I also have to say I am NOT super brand loyal, I have a few favorites that fit my demands.
Basely there are just some many hydros out there. With many good commercial motors available to choose from. So the power units in Ztrs are covered when it comes to design.
Now when it comes to decks there are many good decks, some average and some poor designs are few. Its been my experience one deck to work well in ALL conditions is nearly imposable to achieve. You have wet grass, 4 or 5 different types for grass with different characteristic, deck that work better at hight speed, stamped decks that work in some application. But to build the ultimate deck would in dead be a challenge. But just as many variables listed above are the numerous operators that have a preconceived idea of what is best for them. All this makes for a difficult select group of potential customers.

I would think to build the ultimate deck a wind tunnel/chamber would be needed for testing. Also some kind of programed adjustable deck defectors/baffles to cover the different mowing conditions. I know of others have tried adjustable baffles and some have had good luck. Even the smallest change to the underside of a deck will make a huge change in how it cuts, removes grass from out of the way for the next grass blade, clumping, and grass dispersement.

I have been working on a deck that has no blades, little to no moving parts and will cut any grass at a tremendous speed. A universal replacement deck that can be adapted for the major Z manufactured units. But this is for another post another day.

Last edited by dhardin53; 09-24-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck. I'm sure if you build a well made product (and people can easily see online that it's well made by comparisons or something), I'm sure you'll have plenty of 'do-it-yourselfer' business - people that are willing to do repairs on their own without dealer support...if the price is right. I might be that type of buyer. As long as the machine is not overly complicated, it should be easy enough to work on at home, just like the previous generation eXmark Lazer Z.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted corriher View Post
will be doing any warranty work which we don't think there will be hardly any with our new designs
I sure hope that is not how you presented this to your investors. I have never seen a new product launched without glitches, in any industry - when there are 14 trillion details no one can ever cover them all - that is part of growing a business, you keep improving. Good luck though.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Was hoping to hear from Ted, but i guess his absence speaks volumes. He'll do well as a politician.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Calling on Ted, Ted..... Hello, any updates????
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

He definitely looks like a politician. His website hasn't had an update since April 2011. His "about me" section has this to say about taxes, "Tax breaks for the top one percent and no breaks at all for the rest are stifling the growth that is so very needed today. Funny that the same top one percent with tax cuts approved are the ones voting on the rules for everyone else. Not so funny is the fact that no one seems to be paying attention. Ted wants to change that."

So he creates wealth envy on his page to get votes but has the FairTax.Org logo on his page.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyst1 View Post
Was hoping to hear from Ted, but i guess his absence speaks volumes. He'll do well as a politician.
Imagine when these mowers do get built what the service will be like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2012, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Imagine when these mowers do get built what the service will be like.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't now about you but, I'm not going to find out.......at least from an owners perspective.