Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2012, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
You "old truck guys" ought to be telling these "new truck guys" how great it is that they're buying new. You should be thanking them as a matter of fact. Then, just sit back, wait a few years, and get yourself a nice used truck for a fraction of the price....

Q
Your darn right.....Thanks guys
Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
I see guys all around here pulling trailers full of mowing equipment with high dollar, decked out, 4x4 pickups. What a waste of money. Those 4x4 trucks will probably never be used in 4x4 mode, except for some playtime in the mud. All those fancy bells and whistles do nothing to make the truck do a better job, and those guys are paying $50,000 plus for them.
I just don't get it. Some kind of ego trip or macho thing I guess.
I sure agree with that comment. I'm now in the market for a new pickup and it'll be a 4x2, but when I told that to one salesman, he insulted me saying that based on his pickup-sales experience, I obviously know little about what I should buy. But I've done more than a million miles of driving in my lifetime and about 200,000 in 4x4s (company vehicles that the company also bought the gas for), and I really believe that what Mowingman wrote is accurate. I haven't bought anything yet, but needless to say, I won't go back to the dealer with the salesman who thinks he knows better than his customers what they should buy.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryF View Post
I sure agree with that comment. I'm now in the market for a new pickup and it'll be a 4x2, but when I told that to one salesman, he insulted me saying that based on his pickup-sales experience, I obviously know little about what I should buy. But I've done more than a million miles of driving in my lifetime and about 200,000 in 4x4s (company vehicles that the company also bought the gas for), and I really believe that what Mowingman wrote is accurate. I haven't bought anything yet, but needless to say, I won't go back to the dealer with the salesman who thinks he knows better than his customers what they should buy.
wouldn't u want 4x4 in Jersey?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know it depends. It sure seems like there are no free lunches with trucks, equipment seems to be way better. My first 450 I bought used was a huge mistake. If I would have bought a new one instead, I would still be using it. I added up one time and I spent more keeping that old horse running than what a new truck cost.

One part is how 'important' is that one truck to your business? Does everything depend on it? The other thing - I sure like crawling in a truck that is nice to drive, air, automatic...
Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have not read all the posts..... so someone may have said this.

Here in zone three Wisconsin.... there just ain't no old trucks that are not rust buckets!

Yes... some guys go down south and get some nice iron but it's rusted crap in a few years if run in the winters here.

Wish it was not the case.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Pawn View Post
Have not read all the posts..... so someone may have said this.

Here in zone three Wisconsin.... there just ain't no old trucks that are not rust buckets!

Yes... some guys go down south and get some nice iron but it's rusted crap in a few years if run in the winters here.

Wish it was not the case.
ha, u dont' say...i bought my first truck from wisconsin, wasn't smart enough at the time to think about the moisture and salt...truck fell apart
Old 10-07-2012, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlavin73 View Post
I'm starting to think you guys are right. Even my mechanic told me to go with older vehicles. When I started my business in 2006 I went out and bought a brand new Ford F250. The reason behind this purchase was I don't have a back up truck and I want something I know is going to work for me. So far this brand new reliable truck has had the following repairs:

*2 new exhaust manifolds
*new AC system because something blew up in the compressor
*brakes and rotors all the way around (thought my rotors should have lasted longer than 36K miles)
*New transmission lines because the old rotted out
*New Transmission dipstick tube because the old rusted out

My truck has 49K miles on it now so I don't do a lot of driving. I do all the regular maintenance in hopes of making it last. The salt in the Northeast here is wreaking havoc on the whole undercarriage. I need to find some down time to wire wheel the frame and POR 15 it. I have been keeping my eyes open for something a little older that I can fix up and add as a back up. I wish Toyota or Nissan had a truck that could handle the weight I need. Not sure how they would do pulling a trailer, with a dump insert in the bed with a load of grass. All my former Toyota's and Nissans lasted forever (however I never worked them).
I'm guessing this must be a gasser or you would have a much longer list of 6.0 issues to deal with.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-07-2012, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I'm guessing this must be a gasser or you would have a much longer list of 6.0 issues to deal with.
You are correct. I have the 5.4 gas motor.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

a little update, used the old C65 on a job last week. Loaded with 5 tons of gravel I was able to make a few trips up a pretty steep mountain to finish out a driveway. I was able to stay in the high range gears for most of the trip but did go to lower range for going up the mountain. stayed in 3rd low up to the driveway. at this point i had no choice but to back up the driveway which was the steepest part. the old gasser had no problem in low reverse getting the materials where they needed to be dropped. this old truck impresses me more each time it gets put to work.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It may be a waste of money to you but that's your opinion...For someone that goes mud riding it's pretty much needed.

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...