Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am a solo operator that has 20 residential cleans to do in the Green Bay area. Lots of leaves. You have a few options and it is not as bad as you may think.
You don't say what type of mower you have or if you have bagging ability so I will say that you don't need bagging capability unless you want a very manicured end result.
With oaks you want to get rid of most leaves. They are full of acid and will screw up the balance of the lawn if you mulch huge piles. That being said, it is OK to mulch some of them.
The first thing you need is a set of "gator" type blades for your mower. If they make an OCDC for your Z then you should get one or fab your own. Mulching is a great thing and the gators will reduce the leaves as you cut. You definately need a BIG backpack blower. Preference is yours but Stihl, Redmax, Husky make large cfm backpacks. They weigh about 25lbs and cost about 500 bucks, money well spent. Try them out first to see what you like but go as big as you can. You will not regret spending this money.
If you can blow most of the leaves back past the edges you are in good shape. You use the Z to push as many as you can to the tree line. Use the backpack to finish up. You can mulch leaves at the start when there is a light cover but as more fall you want them off. Try and work when the leaves are dry as they will turn to dust easier.
If you absolutely want to buy a walk behind blower then I suggest this set up by JRCO. It is fast and functional if you have the lawns for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sph1cNdCRUw

If you get to the point where you want to have the lawn maincured then a bagging system for your Z or consider a Walker however that is an expensive (I love mine) option. I make money with my Walker so I use it with my Toro Z.
One guy can definately take care of a lot of area and do it efficiently. It matters on how much you want to spend on equipment but 2 acres isn't that bad whe you are equipped right. Good Luck.