Register free!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Fixing slide-in area at second base

How do you keep slide-in area at second base firm and level? I've tried excavating the area and installing mound clay, but the area was completely torn up after one game. As the clay gets more dug-out, the depth of loose topdressing gets thicker.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I have done the same at second. Unfortunatley its upkeep is like the pitchers mound. Maintenance after EVERY game and to keep the mound clay installed COVERED to keep its moisture content good (not too dry or get too wet).

You can tell when an MLB field has used mound clay at the lead off spot at first and slide in area at second and has gotten too dry, it sucks the moisture out of the topdressing on top of it after the groundscrew has wet the infield right before a game.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am surprised that this did not work well for you. Did you use bagged clay and tamp to compact or bricks? I use bricks bricks to build and repair mounds and batters boxes. While they do require some maintenance these areas wear extremely well and last many years. I would not use or expect good results from bagged clay for sliding areas - but I have never done one either way.

If I had a customer with enough money to want to improve lead off and sliding areas I would use mound bricks turned on edge as a first choice and laid flat as a second choice. I use the word bricks but I think the manufacturer calls them blocks. They are more or less the size of bricks.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Fixing slide-in area at second base

I used bagged clay at the recommendation of the company I bought it from. However, after seeing the results, I can't help but think that the blocks would work better. Honestly, I'm concerned that either choice is going to fail if their success depends on having the perfect moisture content at all times....too dry and the clay breaks off in chunks......too wet and the clay turns to slime.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I would NEVER use clay bricks in slide areas other than home plate. It creates a potentially very dangerous situation. When the areas wear, the clay bricks become exposed and can tear up players legs in a heart beat.
The problem with bagged clay is it get dry and cracks and blows out and its basically worthless. So its key to keep any bagged clay moist.
Hope this helps!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I work at a MLB team spring training facility with maintenance on 6 practice fields and the stadium field plus multiple baseball facilitys countywide... ive never heard of anyone using mound mix in the lead off or sliding areas? With normal maintenance of nail dragging/steel mat dragging the infield and proper watering we rarely have issues of low areas.

How often do you drag the infield and water? Proper watering is very important to keeping the infield where it should be.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

This field has no installed irrigation system. The water it receives comes in the form of hand-watering the mound, home plate and around all the bases. This takes place on days when the field is prepped, anywhere from three to five times a week. The same goes for dragging the field.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Member

The key is once you get the area firm is to keep the right amount of moisture especially on game day. You dont want it like mud and you dont want it so dry that when used it turns to like a clay powder. I understand that sometimes due to available time or resources that it is difficult to find time to keep the clay moist all the time, just make sure it is good for the game.