Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I want to start mowing part time

I'm new to this site and thought I'd ask for some help.

I recently bought a house on 1 acre and for the last 7 months have been mowing the lawn with a 21" self propelled Husqvarna. I recently upgraded to a 42 " Toro Time Cutter, twin cylinder. I also have a Stihl FS90 trimmer. No edger. No blower.

I want to put this equipment to work for me during the mowing season as a part time business and see where it goes.I already have a pick up truck. My questions are:

1.what kind of trailer do you recommend?
2.what other equipment should I add in order to get started?
3.I can devote Sat and Sun, plus one day during the week- is this enough time?
4.Suggestions for getting clients? Advertising?
5.Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-04-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This might help. Everything you'd need to know to get started. Read,read,read........

http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58
Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

First of all, welcome to the site. Second of all, you need to decide what your long term goals are regarding this business as it can effect your equipment choices. Are you simply wanting to mow a few lawns on the side for extra pocket money, or is your goal to gradually build into a serious business? If it is the former, a light duty trailer and low-end commercial or high-end consumer equipment will get you by. If it is the latter, you will want to purchase equipment that will stand the abuse of increased usage.

As for the time you have to devote to the business, you have to do, what you have to do. Most of us started part-time, and many on this site still are. What are the hours of your day job? Is it possible to mow before or after work? The worst problem with having only certain days you can mow is the weather. For example, if you can't mow on Monday or Tuesday at all, and you get rained out the weekend, then you are immediately in a bind. Throw in a lot of rain and heavy spring growth, and you will have upset customers in a hurry.

My advice is to grow slowly, and not bite off more than you can chew. Speading yourself too thin is a sure recipe for disaster. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

And if you are going to start running that mower that much a week don't expect it to last more than a year or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

CLARK LAWN "And if you are going to start running that mower that much a week don't expect it to last more than a year or so."

can you elaborate please? what mower are you referring to?

thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

my goal initially is to earn a supplemental income....if I had enough business to where I needed mroe time to mow...I'll decide at the time....ideally I want a stable part time business that has the potential for more

for my "day job" I work 10am to 7pm.....I could mow early in the morning before work if needed and squeeze one in the evening too....where I live in TX we have daylight from 7am to almost 9pm in the summer

I agree with starting slow....I want to do it the right way and provide good, consistent service

what is the consensus about mowing on Saturdays & Sundays?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention that in addtion to being able to mow on the weekends and maybe before/after work, my full time job gives me 4 weeks of paid vacation per yr with the option to get another paid week.....if I needed to take a day here and there to make up for rain days or whatever, I could do it without an issue
Old 10-05-2012, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesg View Post
I forgot to mention that in addtion to being able to mow on the weekends and maybe before/after work, my full time job gives me 4 weeks of paid vacation per yr with the option to get another paid week.....if I needed to take a day here and there to make up for rain days or whatever, I could do it without an issue
Both mowers he is probably reffering to.

They are home owner/residential mowers, they are built to mow your personal lawn once a week, nothing more. Nothing wrong with home owner/residential equipment as long as that all its used for.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

What about mowing on Sundays? Is this a "no no" for customers? What's the rule of thumb on this?

What about a 36" or 42" commercial walk behind or stand on (zero turn) instead of a riding mower?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Sponsor

If your customers have no objections and you have none, the decision is yours to make.
I do not work on Sunday.
easy-lift guy