Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDLLC View Post
You mentioned there was a new platform on it - was it comfortable? Worthwhile to take a look at?
Oh yes, on top of the suspension platform is a seperate rubber isolated platform. I feel no vibration at all! This was sugested by Pro-Stance owners as well as a bigger foot deck lift pedal and gas guage. So Gravely made in production changes and added the recommendations!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
It's my understanding Wright is making Gravely's standers? They do look very similier in design. If there was a Gravely dealer or dealers around here I would be tempted to demo one we're pretty much all JD,Scag,Exmark,Walker and Toro around here, although I did see a Wright just the other day. It looks to have a lot of really good features maybe too many, overcomplicated in a sense.

I believe Gravely did make the old JD standers. Gravely bought out Great Dane if I'm correct.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
They actually have two different holes for the front caster axle to mount in on the fropnt forks. the guy who brought my demo out today said that the lower hole was for making it a little better for climbing over certain curbs. Of course, the deck would have to be leveled and the machine used in whichever hole you choose, meaning you can't level it while mounted in the hole it comes from the factory in, and then swao for curb climbing without any adjustments made.

If you look at my pics in the review I put up today, you can see the hole I'm talking about on the front forks.It's just below and back of the stoc mounting hole.
I'm not sure if the holes where originally for this purpose. My 460 even has double holes and when asked I was told it was due to using the same fork for several applications which makes sense to keep cost down.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another nice review GMLC. Keep 'em coming.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
I'm not sure if the holes where originally for this purpose. My 460 even has double holes and when asked I was told it was due to using the same fork for several applications which makes sense to keep cost down.

I dunno.
My salesman said that he and some of the others from their store just came back from some yearly meeting with Gravely regarding all the new upgrades etc, and that was exactly what Gravely said those holes were for.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok, I have 2 days and 17 lawns under my belt with the Pro-Stance and I'm ready to start my review on performance!! All though I wouldn't be surprised if some of my opinions change as I continue to use the machine.

The Good:

The Pro-Stance is very easy on turf and I'm able to do zero turns where I normally do three point turns with my walk-behind!! I love the front end as it is narrow and low so I can get under tree's, bushes, fences etc. The comfort is amazing as no vibration is felt and it does well over bumps. Hydros are smooth and responsive. This thing is a billy goat!! I can climb hills with no problems and the front end does not come off the ground. Hill side stability is awesome and I know this is where most standers fail miserably. This machine does not slide out when going across hills or ditches!! The Pro-Stance is fast at 9 mph and it will do it on smooth ground. Cut quality is awesome and Gravely has another great deck!! I'm shocked because I thought this deck was to to shallow and closed. But it has not clumped wet or dry and stripes great without a stripe kit. This deck has a ton of lift and discharge pressure. The clipping dispersal is great and the clippings disappear. Clippings are really small like Exmarks Ultra Cut. I will continue to update on cut quality as conditions change.

This machine is extremely productive on properties less than 1/2 acre and I'm saving a ton of time over my walk behind and ZTR. If all or most of your properties are less than 1/2 acre a stander is a must have. You will save a ton of time!!! On properties over 1/2 acre a ZTR is still much faster and productive IMO.

The Bad:

Down hill traction is really giving me a problem. I don't feel confident turning down a steep hill and have slid(straight down a hill is fine). Also traction backing up a hill or ditch could be better. Keep in mind these are steep hills and I may get better with the machine but I have no problem doing them with my ZTR or walk behind. Walk behind mode is only good on flat ground as there is very little traction when off the platform. The engine could use a bit more power but its no deal breaker.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GMLC-
I'm fairly tall, and I have long enough arms to do this, but I found when backing up on a hill, that if I placed my feet so that the only part of my feet on the platform was from the balls of my feet forward, then leaned back to where my arms were about straightened out, I gained a lot more traction to back up. We shouldn't really need to do that to that extent, but it did help a lot. To be honest, I think that for the average rider from say, 150- 220 lbs, the front/rear weight split could favor the rear a bit more.

I really liked how easy it was to swing the front castors aaround without tearing the turf on the one I had. I think they had the rears a bit over-inflated though, because I had to be almost as careful as I do with my Z that weights twice as much. i didn't bother to try to check or change them since I wasn't going to have it that long, but they felt a little too hard to me, and they looked like it too.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
GMLC-
I'm fairly tall, and I have long enough arms to do this, but I found when backing up on a hill, that if I placed my feet so that the only part of my feet on the platform was from the balls of my feet forward, then leaned back to where my arms were about straightened out, I gained a lot more traction to back up. We shouldn't really need to do that to that extent, but it did help a lot. To be honest, I think that for the average rider from say, 150- 220 lbs, the front/rear weight split could favor the rear a bit more.

I really liked how easy it was to swing the front castors aaround without tearing the turf on the one I had. I think they had the rears a bit over-inflated though, because I had to be almost as careful as I do with my Z that weights twice as much. i didn't bother to try to check or change them since I wasn't going to have it that long, but they felt a little too hard to me, and they looked like it too.
Thanks I will try that. I'm also going to play with the tire pressures as I haven't checked them yet!!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

nice. I hope it continues to impress you

Snapper CP218520
Snapper 21351PD new engine
LawnBoy 10227 wi/bagger
Kawasaki KRB650B
Stihl BG55(X2)
John Deere
Shindaiwa LE242
Shindaiwa T242
Shindaiwa RS41
Husqvarna 445 saw
Stihl MS210C
Kawasaki KHDS600A
Stihl KM90R wi/ trimmer/blower/edger
2014 Quality Steel and Aluminum 5x8 Utility Trailer.
Toro single stage snow thrower.
SCAG SW36 Kawasaki Rackem 3.3 on order

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Ok, I have 2 days and 17 lawns under my belt with the Pro-Stance and I'm ready to start my review on performance!! All though I wouldn't be surprised if some of my opinions change as I continue to use the machine.

The Good:

The Pro-Stance is very easy on turf and I'm able to do zero turns where I normally do three point turns with my walk-behind!! I love the front end as it is narrow and low so I can get under tree's, bushes, fences etc. The comfort is amazing as no vibration is felt and it does well over bumps. Hydros are smooth and responsive. This thing is a billy goat!! I can climb hills with no problems and the front end does not come off the ground. Hill side stability is awesome and I know this is where most standers fail miserably. This machine does not slide out when going across hills or ditches!! The Pro-Stance is fast at 9 mph and it will do it on smooth ground. Cut quality is awesome and Gravely has another great deck!! I'm shocked because I thought this deck was to to shallow and closed. But it has not clumped wet or dry and stripes great without a stripe kit. This deck has a ton of lift and discharge pressure. The clipping dispersal is great and the clippings disappear. Clippings are really small like Exmarks Ultra Cut. I will continue to update on cut quality as conditions change.

This machine is extremely productive on properties less than 1/2 acre and I'm saving a ton of time over my walk behind and ZTR. If all or most of your properties are less than 1/2 acre a stander is a must have. You will save a ton of time!!! On properties over 1/2 acre a ZTR is still much faster and productive IMO.

The Bad:

Down hill traction is really giving me a problem. I don't feel confident turning down a steep hill and have slid(straight down a hill is fine). Also traction backing up a hill or ditch could be better. Keep in mind these are steep hills and I may get better with the machine but I have no problem doing them with my ZTR or walk behind. Walk behind mode is only good on flat ground as there is very little traction when off the platform. The engine could use a bit more power but its no deal breaker.
is the zrt and the stander yours? Or are they demos

Snapper CP218520
Snapper 21351PD new engine
LawnBoy 10227 wi/bagger
Kawasaki KRB650B
Stihl BG55(X2)
John Deere
Shindaiwa LE242
Shindaiwa T242
Shindaiwa RS41
Husqvarna 445 saw
Stihl MS210C
Kawasaki KHDS600A
Stihl KM90R wi/ trimmer/blower/edger
2014 Quality Steel and Aluminum 5x8 Utility Trailer.
Toro single stage snow thrower.
SCAG SW36 Kawasaki Rackem 3.3 on order

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well