Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I just picked up a new 52" GS today, and the tires are much much wider than the V ride's. I looked at a 36" 48" and the 52" they all have very wide tires. Even my two year old 40"'s tires are pretty narrow compared to the new 52.
The larger V-Rides like the 48 come with much bigger 20x10.5 tires. It's only the 36 that comes with anemic 18x7 tires. The GS (20x10) in the 48 & 60 size actually have slightly smaller tires then the V-Ride 48 & 60 (20x10.5).
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I will anxiously await your report on how the mower performs after making these modifications.

I have the 48" v-ride and love the mower. I would love to pick up a 36 but haven't so far b/c of the tires. I have been holding out in hopes that scag would release a new improved v-ride 36 that was a little more compact, lighter, and had wider tires..

I demoed the exmark 36, but the weight of the deck caused too much scalp on my small yards with humps and hollows. The scag 36 also has anti scalp wheels on the front of the deck where as the exmark does not.

I've been waiting for the perfect 36 stander, but so far it doesn't exist imo.

Please, keep us posted.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierT&L View Post
I will anxiously await your report on how the mower performs after making these modifications.

I have the 48" v-ride and love the mower. I would love to pick up a 36 but haven't so far b/c of the tires. I have been holding out in hopes that scag would release a new improved v-ride 36 that was a little more compact, lighter, and had wider tires..

I demoed the exmark 36, but the weight of the deck caused too much scalp on my small yards with humps and hollows. The scag 36 also has anti scalp wheels on the front of the deck where as the exmark does not.

Please, keep us posted.
I asked my guys how things were with the wider tires today and if there were any issues. They said everything went just fine.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Here is the mower with my wider tires installed. You will notice the big pad and small fold down platform are removed on my mower. This allows the operator to stand further forward on the mower and to have better weight distribution. The two 30 lb. weight plates under the front deck have been removed as well.

Today is the first day to use the wider tires so hopefully all goes well.
I thought our Sentar 36" had tires that were about 2 inches wide than the Scag. Compared the two at McCoys and the Sentar is only one inch wider but I swear they look much wider.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I thought our Sentar 36" had tires that were about 2 inches wide than the Scag. Compared the two at McCoys and the Sentar is only one inch wider but I swear they look much wider.
Didn't your company also pick up a V-Ride 36?
Owner- David

Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I asked my guys how things were with the wider tires today and if there were any issues. They said everything went just fine.
Have you had a chance to do any more observation of the 36 with the mods in action? Can you see a difference in marking from the tires?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Have you had a chance to do any more observation of the 36 with the mods in action? Can you see a difference in marking from the tires?
I haven't mowed anything myself but my guys have been using it all week with no complaints at all. The width of the mower is still 36" so the mowers ability to trim is still the same. I was afraid the tires were going to stick out and cause us to have to mow further away from border areas but that was not the case at all. You can feel the bigger tires have more grip and better traction.

I'll mow my own lawn this weekend and see how things go for myself. The only place I was able to find the correct tires was smalltires.com. They had the best price and the tires came very quickly.
Owner- David

Old 10-12-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I saw your other post about the changes coming to the 36 from scag. I wonder what changes they will make along with the tires, and when the machine will be available.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Please, keep us posted.
We run two Wright RH 36" units and don't have any major problems. We are waiting for a 36"WB hdro with floating deck from Scag. The WB units give better cuts on small yards than the stander.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
We run two Wright RH 36" units and don't have any major problems. We are waiting for a 36"WB hdro with floating deck from Scag. The WB units give better cuts on small yards than the stander.
is this true of WB's and standers in general or just with scags?