Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
And have these decades of study taught us anything about irrigating 2 or 3 times a day to get seed to germinate???
I dont know, why dont you do some research, google away dude.

If you think about it though, every seed manufacturer says to keep the seed moist until germination and then to keep watering until it is so tall. I have to assume they are telling you the truth because if you dont get good results you wont be a repeat customer. So if you need to irrigate 2-3 times a day to keep it moist then do that.

The original point i was trying to make is seed will eventually germinate even if you dont irrigate, nature will make it happen when its time but it could take a very long time, years even. However since people want everything RIGHT NOW the seed manufacturers tell you to keep it moist to speed up the process, how you do that is up to you.

Quote:
have you personally witnessed seed germination on an overseeded lawn that wasn't irrigated???
Yes, already covered that with my non intentional experiment.

Quote:
do the birds and rodents make it impossible for you to overseed an unirrigated lawn???
Never said it was impossible, it can severely deter the results obviously, an eaten seed is a seed that isnt going to grow now isnt it?

Quote:
THAT is what was being discussed, before all this foolishness about a seed germinating in dessicated soils and birds and rodents eating everything up... THAT is what makes you think that everyone else is stupid??? give me a break... only irrigated lawns can be safe from rodents and the seed will just sit there for years... that is relevant,,, HOW???
Dont know how to reply to this, its very............out there, total nonsense and odd bable.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Listen and think carefully one more time... "unirrigated lawns" ...

You have to understand what is being talked about before you can add anything to the discussion...

I have another question for all you nay-sayers... Why do I see seed sitting on top of the dirt and the birds and rodents haven't eaten it all up? and Why has the grass seed germinated and lived in great numbers when watered every 2-3 days only?? google away and get back to me what you've found...

Advice that you can't grow grass 'unless' you dethatch, aerate, slit-seed and water 2-3 times a day is for suckers and that is what you find when you google away... step outside the box and help people to do better than suckers...
Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I thought this was a professional forum? Guess not.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Only professionals with years of experience can know that the radicle will emerge from a seed in dessicated soils and not find moisture(and this is in the context of irrigation every 2-3 days, in Autumn)... Not Only That But, un irrigated lawns cannot possibly be managed by proffessionals becuz the seed will sit too long and the birds will gobble it all up... its ture... look it up...

Happens to me all the time... thanxfor sharing your professional wisdom, I couldn't figure out why I was having such success in adverse conditions... it was becuz I didn't google to find out how IMPOSSIBLE it is
Old 10-06-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And the ignorant, contradictory, rambling continues .....
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is boring again... time to move on...
Old 10-17-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

they say water once a week. I tried that and guess what.....the grass isnt as healthy looking. I had better results in watering when the soil is dry. I had topsoil in my yard waiting for seeding I did in september. I topsoil was there for the hot summer months and noticed exactly when it dries out. when it dries out deep. and when it gets really dry. and how long it stay moist and also how much is overwatering.

watering once a week deep....I had grass dry up.

if you have good loose soil from a liquid aerator shouldnt the roots just grow deeper.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They say watering once a week is what to do... you are wise to water only when the soil actually dries, IMO...

people with irrigation grow thatch as a general observation, because it is so easy to remove air from the soil and the roots generally don't go very deep in very large mass...

people w/out irrigation may have lost turf this year,,, although other unirrigated lawns bounced right back because they've been given an opportunity to mature into strong plants with deep and massive roots...

There is a lot of irrigation abuse that gets turf to become dependant on the constant watering...
For example, I had a sprinkler system go down in August and patches of grass actually died from lack of moisture while unirrigated lawns were starting to revive because of the little rain we did get...
Old 10-18-2012, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Member

unirrigated lawns? you mean one without sprinkler systems or ones that get no water from those hose?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unirrigated lawns that may or may not recieve any moisture outside of the normal rainfall... around here 50 years ago nobody paid much attention to lawns, just something that had to be mowed... I remember lawns being filled with sandburs and those lawns didn't do well without additional water and even fertilizer, but mostly just lived with the sandburs...
Other lawns that had heavier soil didn't have sandburs and the grass was surviving well during the good years and would go dormant during the dry ones... but it never died, only went dormant and would get stronger and denser every year...

I set my strategies to aiding the grass when distressed, not put on 'life support'...