Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Irrigation Leak

There are two more valves you can't see in the lawn next to this flower bed which I thought were the source of the leak. Luciano Gomez went by to do what I thought would be a quick fix. He pumped out the water in the lawn valve boxes but couldn't see any leak.

He followed the main line back into the bed and found two buried valves that were deep down in double stacked valve boxes. Crap, no leak their either. He shoveled the muck back even further and found a third buried valve.

Someone had used the bell end from a 20' stick and made a shade tree slip fix which was now leaking (area with extra primer). Just when you think you've seen every way to Jerry Rig something you find something new.
Attached Images

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! Atleast its not wrapped in duct tape. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Alkalinity Issue for Red Oaks and Occasionaly Live Oaks

This issue is mostly a Texas thing in the region from Dallas south down through San Antonio and points west. Red Oaks being brought in from east Texas or likely from LA, AL, GA, or FL has been causing problems for years. A lot of people think all Red Oaks and Live Oaks grow great here but that is not the case. Acorns (not grown from cuttings) must be collected from areas with alkaline soil if your going to be marketing your tree's in those areas. This problem has been going on here for at least a decade.

I have seen places like Lowes selling crappy alkaline intolerant tree's as well as places like Skinner (now Shemin). There is no way to tell if a tree is alkaline tolerant or not until after it has been in the ground a few years. Buying from a reputable grower is the only way to insure you get quality tree's.

Alkalinity issues with Live Oaks are less common but the landscaper who set up the Buffington homes in my neighborhood managed to find Live Oaks and Red Oaks that were alkaline intolerant. The attached pictures are from homes on my street.

You also need to be aware that the Red Oak native to the central Texas area is not the long lived Spanish Oak that can live for 150 years. Our version is the Texana Quercus shumardii and it is often dead by age 30 from mistletoe and Borer insect damage. Very few growers grow the crappy Texana version.

When the building boom was in full swing I would dare to say that at least 1/3rd of the Red Oaks being planted were imported from out of state and were doomed the day they were planted.
Attached Images

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 09-01-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We had a couple red oaks ata hotel account that had yellow leaves each year and they wanted us to fix the problem. I went to Natural Guardner and got some of John's special composte mix for sick trees. It took three years and I seen some improvement at least the leaves got green. But that isn't any silver bullet.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My Place

Here a shot of what my place looks like from Google Earth. I have one of those rare decent neighborhoods that not old (1999) but you can get away with running a business.

My neighbor down the street has the same size 30x45 building but he built his right beside his house. It took him two years to get the slab and building done then he dropped dead from a heart attack and barely got to use it.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a shot of what my neighbor Charlie did down the street. When Charlies neighbor steps out of their front door they can see about 30' of the metal building imposing in the front yard like a white elephant. Charlie turned his original home garage into a man cave and did a really good job of it but barely got to enjoy it before he died of a heart attack.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2012, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Improve Your V-Ride 36

Here is a link to my V-Ride post http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=389180. Check out the little critter in the picture that came out from under my mower while I was using my grinder. He came right at me looking pretty angry. I'm glad I saw him before he got to me.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2012, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What cad program do you use?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
What cad program do you use?
Posted via Mobile Device
AutoCAD LT 2008 the best deal was on Amazon for $800. You need to have experience using AutoCAD or it will be a waste of money. It is very non-user friendly program for beginners. For a first time user it would be very frustrating.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used Landscape pro in the past. Does that help the learning curve?
Posted via Mobile Device