Register free!

Old 10-06-2012, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
That's a good point.

Here is the reply I received from Rich Buckley at the Rutgers Plant Diagnostic Lab regarding break though with Merit.
I have not heard anything specific for this year, but I don't doubt there were control failures. Merit will not control asiatic garden beetles. It is known that they will invade areas as a secondary pest once the oriental and japanese beetles are removed by the product. I also suspect that due to the dry mid-summer period that egg-hatch was delayed until late-August when the rains started again. If you applied Merit as per the label in May, then it was probably used up by then. I think it best to use Merit when the adults fly in late-June or July so it lasts through late-summer into fall.
This is put perfectly. Going back a few years ago I had breakthrough and suspected this was the case. Since that time I have been applying very late June, early July with no problems. Other than a more plentiful naturally occuring watering-in, there really isn't any reason to apply Merit so early anyway. Apply later and get protection deeper into the season where the problem presents itself anyway! Good stuff.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
It's really the best insecticide to come out in the last twenty years ( well that and bifenthrin) and has protected a lot of turf and made us all a lot of profits!

Great point Cadzilla!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoxtrot9 View Post
This is put perfectly. Going back a few years ago I had breakthrough and suspected this was the case. Since that time I have been applying very late June, early July with no problems. Other than a more plentiful naturally occuring watering-in, there really isn't any reason to apply Merit so early anyway. Apply later and get protection deeper into the season where the problem presents itself anyway! Good stuff.
Theres a lot of advertising pressure from company's like Scotts that get people in the mood for preventative in late April.

Pro applicators should know the timing.

One thing I wondered about this year is in the midwest I am convinced beetles emerged from the soil earlier due to the grubs not being deep in the soil and pupating early from the mildest winter on record.

IF... this happened, could it have created a prolonged mating (and subsequent egg laying) period?

Do beetles mate more than once? (sluts!) Lay more than one batch of eggs? (fertile myrtles!) Or are they one and done.

I don't know.

I do know grub pressure is heavy this year in my area, and same with sod webworm and chinch bugs and I believe this can be directly attributed to the mild winter we had.

It set up the perfect storm. Dry warm winter with no insect attrition, grubs close to the surface, no winter snow for moisture into spring, an earlier spring than we have had in 100 years, followed a month later by the worst drought in 100 years.

Last edited by Cadzilla; 10-06-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can understand the logic behind waiting a little longer to app the merit, however, if you use allectus as i have for the past few seasons, you will miss the 1st generation of chinch bugs!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Theres a lot of advertising pressure from company's like Scotts that get people in the mood for preventative in late April.

Pro applicators should know the timing.

One thing I wondered about this year is in the midwest I am convinced beetles emerged from the soil earlier due to the grubs not being deep in the soil and pupating early from the mildest winter on record.

IF... this happened, could it have created a prolonged mating (and subsequent egg laying) period?

Do beetles mate more than once? (sluts!) Lay more than one batch of eggs? (fertile myrtles!) Or are they one and done.

I don't know.

I do know grub pressure is heavy this year in my area, and same with sod webworm and chinch bugs and I believe this can be directly attributed to the mild winter we had.

It set up the perfect storm. Dry warm winter with no insect attrition, grubs close to the surface, no winter snow for moisture into spring, an earlier spring than we have had in 100 years, followed a month later by the worst drought in 100 years.
It's one and done and they will go back to the exact spot they were hatched and came from to lay their eggs. However as a few have pointed out, with the drought affecting a big part of the US, all bugs including beetles are acting crazy. We have noticed grubs being attracted to irrigated lawns since all the other areas that are not irrigated are as hard as concrete. Couple that with the extreme heat and the life cycle of many insects is all messed up this year.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc View Post
It's one and done and they will go back to the exact spot they were hatched and came from to lay their eggs.
Why is that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landgreen View Post
Why is that?
Posted via Mobile Device
That is what the bayer entomologist told me anyway. I went to a whole ceu class on it. Maybe he made a D- in "BEETLE 101".
Old 10-07-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
It's one and done and they will go back to the exact spot they were hatched and came from to lay their eggs. However as a few have pointed out, with the drought affecting a big part of the US, all bugs including beetles are acting crazy. We have noticed grubs being attracted to irrigated lawns since all the other areas that are not irrigated are as hard as concrete. Couple that with the extreme heat and the life cycle of many insects is all messed up this year.
Interesting.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
the few damages i have, are on irrigated lawns. I am afraid of not getting it watered in and do apply sometimes a bit early. If i waited 2 more weeks, none of my grub control would have been watered in except irrigated lawns.

so, in that case, hmmmmmmmmm.

also though, i experienced the same as above. more than anything though, the grubs are under threshold enough, but the skunks etc are ripping the lawns up feeding on those near wooded areas and irrigated. they know where to look
Old 10-07-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
That is what the bayer entomologist told me anyway. I went to a whole ceu class on it. Maybe he made a D- in "BEETLE 101".
Well I have always noticed they return to the same locations. I have never heard or figured out why.
Posted via Mobile Device