Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, thanks for the info. Ya, the lawns are starting to take a beating around here too. Although all this nice weather has really helped us catch up on a lot of projects. It's been a crazy season - bad year for fungus too - red thread and leaf spot have really damaged several of our lawns pretty badly. I'll bet the ones you are talking about that are irrigated and still brown have been hit by a disease.....all the rain early in the season followed by lots of hot humid weather was the worst combination.
Luckily they will bounce back okay with some fert/rain.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Red thread, crabgrass and grubs have been awful this year. We had one sports field we mow get shut down by the school because it was so badly infested with grubs. I never thought I would be so happy to see rain, hopefully we get the precipitation out before it gets cold enough to snow.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, we have had a couple good rain storms within the last week or so, but still could use some more. Crazy season for sure and several of our lawns are still burnt to a crisp - like they crunch when you walk across them. Never seen it this bad before. Luckily I was able to save most of them and they are beginning to green up again. VERY busy this year....probably too much so. We'll be starting overseeding and aerating before you know it. Then the ever hated leaves. lol

Jason
Old 08-21-2012, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

how are you guys doing. i have not been on this site all summer. i have been flat out straight can not wait for end of the summer. McFarland_Lawn_Care good looking t shirt.
2011 4x4 f250
2008 4x4 f250
1999 4x4 f250
5 fisher plows
2 fisher sanders
2010 kubota l4400
2007 kubota kx 161-3
billy goat truck vacuum 23 hp
2011 exmark navigator
2010 exmark navigator
2011 walker
2010 walker
2008 walker
2 7x16 trailer
7x14 trailer
6x12 trailer
equipment trailer for tractor
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
how are you guys doing. i have not been on this site all summer. i have been flat out straight can not wait for end of the summer. McFarland_Lawn_Care good looking t shirt.
Not that I want snow but I could use a break after this year. Employee issues, weather, customers, ready to chock this one up as a loss and call it a season.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, Stan!

Our season was definitely not a loss, but I'm right there with you on customer calls and employee issues and early season crazy weather. Time for a break and some hunting!! =D

Jason
Old 10-06-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Still too damn busy to do much hunting....but beautiful weather we've been having. I hate mowing and leaves when it's so cold out - soon it'll be time to pack a thermos of coffee each day and wear gloves and fleece. =D Can't wait to put all the equipment up! lol
Old 10-06-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
Still too damn busy to do much hunting....but beautiful weather we've been having. I hate mowing and leaves when it's so cold out - soon it'll be time to pack a thermos of coffee each day and wear gloves and fleece. =D Can't wait to put all the equipment up! lol
Last week I broke out my overalls for the first time. It was misting and we were near the ocean, the guys made fun of me but after my mower plugged the third time I got tired my pants being soaked. Too early for this weather. I'm just wondering where all this rain was in July?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha...For sure...bad July but I love it this time of year. Most of our seasonal customers have gone back "home" to their own states now and we just zip around with no lawn furniture to move or anything! lol

Quick question - we are nearing the point of adding a third truck and I have been tossing around the idea of getting a cab-over instead of another pickup/trailer. I would be looking at a Fuso 4x4 so that we could use it to plow as well. Anyone else had experience with these? Not many landscapers in this are use them but it seems like they would be much more efficient. It would be an open flatbed with gate for mowers that would be removable so we could strap down a sander in the off season. Thoughts??? They are definitely hard to find!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I love the overalls idea....I was pondering a rabbit mascot suit for mowing Halloween week =D. Reactions would be priceless - you know what they say about publicity. lol

Which mower is plugging on you Chris? Hope it's not the deeres... Time to switch over to the dark side of red paint!! ;->

Jason