Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
5 gallons per thousand square feet? Seems a bit wasteful to me. Studies have shown that anything above 80 gal/A (~2 gal/M) isn't giving you any extra benefit and all that extra water takes a lot of fuel to haul around.
That much carrier breaks surface tension( you should know this). With the products Ric and myself use, I run as high as 4 gpm. I also run a few ride ons and they are 1/4 gal p/1000. Straight weed killer does not require a lot of carrier.

Btw, wheres the info on this so called study...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2012, 03:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have shoehorned 2.5 lb ammonium sulfate, 1 lb potassium nitrate, and micronutrients into 2 gallons for application to 1000 sq ft. This mix instantly browns out a lawn unless I am applying immediately before each irrigation zone goes on for 1/4 of its usual time. Applying this same rate of fertilizer in 5-10 gallons makes watering in unnecessary. If I cannot water in, more water is a good idea.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What studies are those, if I may ask?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I have shoehorned 2.5 lb ammonium sulfate, 1 lb potassium nitrate, and micronutrients into 2 gallons for application to 1000 sq ft. This mix instantly browns out a lawn unless I am applying immediately before each irrigation zone goes on for 1/4 of its usual time. Applying this same rate of fertilizer in 5-10 gallons makes watering in unnecessary. If I cannot water in, more water is a good idea.
Are you saying you put out 3lbs of N per thousand?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Carrier rate also depends on what kind of feed your trying to do. Foliar feeding you want low carrier rates if you want the roots to uptake the feed then yes higher carrier rates would be better
Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueturf View Post
Carrier rate also depends on what kind of feed your trying to do. Foliar feeding you want low carrier rates if you want the roots to uptake the feed then yes higher carrier rates would be better
Turf can only Foliar up take about a 1/10 of pound of N per 24 hour period. So enough carrier to reach the root is necessary if you are applying more than a small amount of N.

Therefore there should be a healthy balance between Carrier and the quantity of Fertilizer being applied. To strong of a salt solution (fertilizer) will burn turf.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
We can agree to disagree but Old School pesticide applicator would tell you 5 gallon a thousand isn't enough. If I did 80 gallon an acre at my fertilizer mix rate I would have Brown Lawns. Remember Fertilizer is a salt and the more PPM of salt in water the more chance of burn. With 5 gallon a Thousand calibration I can Go light on one spot and Heavy on an other with out stripping. BTW Most of my Yards are way under 5 K so tanking large volume is really no problem.

In Edit: You are in Cool Season Turf and I am in Warm season Turf. What works for me 2,000 miles south of you should not be a concern to you as what do you won't work for me.

What setup are you using to make your rounds? Pulling a hose or some type of ride-on with a nursery tank? Not too long ago you were rebuilding a golf course spraying rig? What size tanks on whatever you are using?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
What setup are you using to make your rounds? Pulling a hose or some type of ride-on with a nursery tank? Not too long ago you were rebuilding a golf course spraying rig? What size tanks on whatever you are using?
I am pulling hose off my 20 yr old TG/CL Isuzu cab over truck with a PTO powered H 25 Hydra cel pump. I actually have Lawnsite to thank for being able to find a working TG/CL truck that wasn't stripped. I bought it over 10 years ago for $ 4250 in Perfect running condition. Of course I made several modification to fit my needs including Paint jobs and new seats Etc.

Here is a Picture of Ric's Mobile corporate office.

Here is the 150 gallon toro ride on, FORMER Golf Course sprayer I call Ric's Ride. It is a work in progress and I use it only for insecticides mainly Fire Ant control. It is calibrated at 3 gallon per thousand and I wish I could get more volume. Not shown is the Herd Bait Spread that attaches to the front and a 100 ft hose reel which I have to reinstall by welding a frame for it.

Here it is on the Job

In the car port attached to my barn

Yes I am an equipment freak.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 10-07-2012, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueturf View Post
Are you saying you put out 3lbs of N per thousand?
Goodness no. That translates to a little over 1/2 lb of N per 1000. To put down 3 lb of N per 1000, that would be around 10 lb of ammonium sulfate and 5 lb of potassium nitrate. That rate probably will kill the grass, no matter how much water is used to apply it. I am doing low rate feedings every 30 to 45 days. I am not trying to apply the entire yearly requirement in one application.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Goodness no. That translates to a little over 1/2 lb of N per 1000. To put down 3 lb of N per 1000, that would be around 10 lb of ammonium sulfate and 5 lb of potassium nitrate. That rate probably will kill the grass, no matter how much water is used to apply it. I am doing low rate feedings every 30 to 45 days. I am not trying to apply the entire yearly requirement in one application.
Golf Greens might have the very same type treatment every 7 to 14 days. The type soil plays a big part of how successful a liquid program is. I should say that the other way. A successful liquid program is designed to the type of soil and climate. What works for you might not work for me etc.

But the bottom line is the Bottom line. I mean Profit drives the market and every market is different. So is Liquid Fert right for you?????