Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2012, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I ordered a Toro Grandstand to replace the BOP thats approaching 1000 hours. I also think the old kombi is about toast so it will likley have to be replaced < Im getting the homewoner Kombi for that>...So for the year my expenses will exceed 15000$.

So even with a long busy season this year the end result still sucks, hopefully I can run another 5 years with out all the equiptment expense, thats the only plus.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
I started my day airing up my rear drivers side tire just so I could drive without causing a blowout. It has a nail stuck in it that I haven't had a chance to take care of... thus the slow leak I gotta keep an eye on. Everything else was going alright up until my 5th account when a shoulder strap on my blower broke. Also while I was at that house, I ran over and broke a sprinkler that I didn't have a replacement for on hand. Just another day in paradise.
Posted via Mobile Device
I use to deal with that sprinkler head issue, think most of us lawn guys do. Yet, irrigation pros claim a properly installed sprinkler head can withstand the weight of our heavy commercial mowers, time after time. That is until it breaks. lol

Don't you wish you could see the sprinkler heads when you got close to them to avoid running them over with the mower tires. I heard some lawn care guy invented such a product. Wouldn't you know it, it actually works pretty darn good too. How do I know? I invented it.

Sorry I can't share it with you, this site doesn't allow it.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My tax lady thinks this is my hobby
Im trying hard to prove her wrong
Old 10-06-2012, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=larryinalabama;4546610]I ordered a Toro Grandstand to replace the BOP thats approaching 1000 hours. I also think the old kombi is about toast so it will likley have to be replaced < Im getting the homewoner Kombi for that>...So for the year my expenses will exceed 15000$.

Larry you will like the GS I have two now.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
I use to deal with that sprinkler head issue, think most of us lawn guys do. Yet, irrigation pros claim a properly installed sprinkler head can withstand the weight of our heavy commercial mowers, time after time. That is until it breaks. lol

Don't you wish you could see the sprinkler heads when you got close to them to avoid running them over with the mower tires. I heard some lawn care guy invented such a product. Wouldn't you know it, it actually works pretty darn good too. How do I know? I invented it.

Sorry I can't share it with you, this site doesn't allow it.
First thing that popped into my head was the curb feelers my grandfather had on his old Buick station wagon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlah View Post
My tax lady thinks this is my hobby
Im trying hard to prove her wrong
My tax lady wonders how I eat,,,,Im wating for the day she wont take my check....
Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=cpllawncare;4546664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I ordered a Toro Grandstand to replace the BOP thats approaching 1000 hours. I also think the old kombi is about toast so it will likley have to be replaced < Im getting the homewoner Kombi for that>...So for the year my expenses will exceed 15000$.

Larry you will like the GS I have two now.
Im hoping it will do what the BOP would do, I have a lot of steep lawns to mow. I think I got a decient deal on it. I would run the wheels off the BOP but Im not sure how much longer parts will be avaible for them and the back up is 36" BOP single hydro.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So the season is off and running, had a great week last week, this week the work load is good but the expenses are crazy.

This weeks expenses.

1. Gas 170$

2. Parts order 190$

3. Oil and filters to change the oil in truck and mowers 60$

4. Another Sthil Kombe 210$

5. Trimmer string 15$

6. Asprin 5$

650$ in one weeks expenses, and people still want me to cut their yard for 50$, and people here on LS justifing cutting yards for 20$.

And it wont end I still need to order a clutch and some spare BOP parts next week.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hear you Larry, was out bidding work this week a call from an elder gentleman. Last guy sent letter out he is going out of business. I walk the property and he said wants full maintenance from spring to fall. I take all my notes and tell him I will call him back. I work up the price for all the services, and break them down. Since we only do service agreements for residential, we bill for each service as completed. Long story short I bid $55 for the lawn cutting only each week, he said WOW the last guy charged me $25 a cut and did it for me for 30 years. $25 a cut and would add $10-15 for added services, he was also traveling about 30 miles each way. I told him my price is what it is and I though I was giving him a deal because my min. is $60. No wonder why his guy is not doing it any longer, I don't think he was breaking even on it. I get at least 1 call like this every two weeks the whole country must be loaded with them.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealcutter View Post
I hear you Larry, was out bidding work this week a call from an elder gentleman. Last guy sent letter out he is going out of business. I walk the property and he said wants full maintenance from spring to fall. I take all my notes and tell him I will call him back. I work up the price for all the services, and break them down. Since we only do service agreements for residential, we bill for each service as completed. Long story short I bid $55 for the lawn cutting only each week, he said WOW the last guy charged me $25 a cut and did it for me for 30 years. $25 a cut and would add $10-15 for added services, he was also traveling about 30 miles each way. I told him my price is what it is and I though I was giving him a deal because my min. is $60. No wonder why his guy is not doing it any longer, I don't think he was breaking even on it. I get at least 1 call like this every two weeks the whole country must be loaded with them.
The difference between "landscapers" and "business owners". All business owners can be landscapers, but not all landscapers can be business owners.