Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have come to the conclusion that most guys who trash talk Bb have never owned one. It is a mower for less money so it must be terrible.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bln View Post
I have come to the conclusion that most guys who trash talk Bb have never owned one. It is a mower for less money so it must be terrible.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're not alone in your conclusion. Heavily biased opinions will only go so far....sooner or later the facts come out.

Last edited by StanWilhite; 10-06-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
You're not alone in your conclusion. Heavily biased opinions will only go so far....sooner or later the facts come out.
I've either owned or operated a large number of commercial grade ztr's and one of the better riding machines was the Bad Boy AOS model with the four wheel rubber shock suspension. The added weight played what I considered a large part in the ride equation, and the cut was equal to any I've operated.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

From what I have read on here, if a person comes on and says something positive about BB they must be on their payroll, and get harassed, so most dont even bother after a while. If you post good about any other brand nobody jumps down their throats.

I almost bought a Lightning a few years ago. Liked everything about the mower except the "dealer". It was a tool rental place. The main reason I wouldn't buy was they had a leftover model, and still wanted more than retail, wouldn't budge. So happy I didnt buy from them, as they dropped selling mowers, now its over a hour drive to another dealer. If I had a even half way decent dealer I would own a BB in a instant, make the dealer RetroDog, and I would be in heaven! From what it seems on here every problem with BB comes from a shitty dealer. I will never buy another Exmark as my dealer is not so great to deal with. If BB got more quality dealers the company would grow even more.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This is my personal opinion and reason I have never considered a BB. I dont think BB's fit and finish is as good as others but Im very picky as an ex master tech and basically growing up in a machine shop. I also think they are built more for mass production with basic designs. But this allows them to offer their mowers at a lower price than most. Also we no longer have dealers in NH as BB has been dropped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
If you get the Super get the 66" It performs so much better than the 72, I can't explain why, decks look similiar underneath, but have a buddy that has both here and they favor the 66. They mow lots of huge properties too. But just to show you no mower is perfect (in fact I have 5 things on everymower I have ever been on I can find I don't like, zipper being only 3 real things, prolly one of the best I have used), he has a kubota he bought this year, 2 gravelys, he bought a 61 xp the first of this year, and came in a couple of weeks ago and got the 72" 36hp XP with the grammer seat. He is always busy when I want to talk mowers, always want to know the reason why he jumps around on mowers, its not that one is better than the other he says, its that they all have something of an edge different to offer kinda...kinda makes sense. The Super Z I love, the Bad Boy I love along with Hopper, I like the Gravelys, the Bobcats, I like some things on the bota and deere, exmark, toro, scag, they are all great, but all different, and all so scaringly similiar at the same time. The 3 that stand out the most are the 3 I carry now, Bad Boy is the tank, Hustler is the balance, and Grasshopper is my premy. But all 3 offer identacle options too, the hustler x1I is a good price like bad boy outlaw, the Bad Boy XP and 35hp Cat 4 cylinder is pretty premy now, and the 226 hopper is a bangin price point at 7gs to eat Bad Boys lunch, best front mount hands down is the hopper and the rear discharge puts them above all else in cut and not getting covered in dust, but they all 3 complement each other and that is the reason they are all here, I think I have the market covered in what I offer, in my eyes there is nothing else out there that even comes close for my time's worth pushing for the difference... If I was a dealer without Bad Boy and couldn't get them I would prolly carry the Gravely because I like alot of things they are doing, in fact I send alot of people to look at them, just think BB stands out over them to far in options build and price to ever think about carrying...
Puppy bought the 72 and it is way faster than his 66 but these are the new Super XV4 models. My 72 XR7 is fine, I want speeeeeeeeeed get the job done bigger cut.

I will use whatever,BB is fine with me but they are ugly and look all cobby!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
This is my personal opinion and reason I have never considered a BB. I dont think BB's fit and finish is as good as others but Im very picky as an ex master tech and basically growing up in a machine shop. I also think they are built more for mass production with basic designs. But this allows them to offer their mowers at a lower price than most. Also we no longer have dealers in NH as BB has been dropped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey GMLC, lord knows I don't want to fire up another ""BB debate" but what specifically isn't up to your standards? I mean, be specific, don't just make a sweeping comment like "the fit and finish aren't as good". Exactly what did you see that was inferior, and where did you see it?

And now BB is bad because they're mass produced....what isn't? This is what I'm talking about, keep slinging stuff at the wall hoping something will stick. And when it doesn't....throw something else. First I've heard of BB being "more massed produced" than all of the others.

If you knew my background I don't think you'd find too many people more picky than I am. I drive some people nuts because of being so particular.

So keeping that in mind, the welds and the finish on my Lightning are as good or better than any other I've seen. The welds are done by robotic welders that are, in my opinion, as good as it gets, and the powder coating is a helluva lot better than paint.

I will agree that they aren't as sleek as some especially (when looking from a side view) and the "wing" isn't something I would have done had I designed the mower, but come on....what's next? BB isn't as good because they're that particular shade of orange?

If I remember correctly you didn't think anything could touch the value of Scag but now you're pretty much saying the same about Gravely. You might feel that way about other products if you open your mind to different things.

Stan
Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Hey GMLC, lord knows I don't want to fire up another ""BB debate" but what specifically isn't up to your standards? I mean, be specific, don't just make a sweeping comment like "the fit and finish aren't as good". Exactly what did you see that was inferior, and where did you see it?

And now BB is bad because they're mass produced....what isn't? This is what I'm talking about, keep slinging stuff at the wall hoping something will stick. And when it doesn't....throw something else. First I've heard of BB being "more massed produced" than all of the others.

If you knew my background I don't think you'd find too many people more picky than I am. I drive some people nuts because of being so particular.

So keeping that in mind, the welds and the finish on my Lightning are as good or better than any other I've seen. The welds are done by robotic welders that are, in my opinion, as good as it gets, and the powder coating is a helluva lot better than paint.

I will agree that they aren't as sleek as some especially (when looking from a side view) and the "wing" isn't something I would have done had I designed the mower, but come on....what's next? BB isn't as good because they're that particular shade of orange?

If I remember correctly you didn't think anything could touch the value of Scag but now you're pretty much saying the same about Gravely. You might feel that way about other products if you open your mind to different things.

Stan
Stan,

These are my personal opinions which Im qualified to speak on.
I have gone into detail before and it got twisted into a sarcastic joke. I spent a good amount of time at the BB booth at the Grow's Show especially around the stander. The use of 90 degree angles without bracing or bends will stress welds and increase chances of bending the front end or frame. The reason BB does this is for simple jig set up for robots on the assembly line. It is considered cutting corners in the machine shop production world. Most major brands dont do this but its very common on chinese mowers. It saves a ton of money so costs come down. I personally was not impressed with the welds and lack of design finish. Again to lower cost. I have posted many pictures of my opinions in past threads showing all of this and more. Your reply was a sarcastic joke on angles. I suggest spending some time in a machine shop. Also you may just be shocked at how many mowers are still hand made and welded but thats a whole different argument...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe I'm cursed as a fabricator...but to me these pictures speak a thousand words and its even more obvious in person.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Stan,

These are my personal opinions which Im qualified to speak on.
I have gone into detail before and it got twisted into a sarcastic joke. I spent a good amount of time at the BB booth at the Grow's Show especially around the stander. The use of 90 degree angles without bracing or bends will stress welds and increase chances of bending the front end or frame. The reason BB does this is for simple jig set up for robots on the assembly line. It is considered cutting corners in the machine shop production world. Most major brands dont do this but its very common on chinese mowers. It saves a ton of money so costs come down. I personally was not impressed with the welds and lack of design finish. Again to lower cost. I have posted many pictures of my opinions in past threads showing all of this and more. Your reply was a sarcastic joke on angles. I suggest spending some time in a machine shop. Also you may just be shocked at how many mowers are still hand made and welded but thats a whole different argument...
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not aware of BB having anymore problems with their frames than anyone else....are you? If they can save money by not using curves, and the quality doesn't suffer, then great!

As I said before, my son owns a 252 that listed for more than my Lightning and anyone seeing them side by side in person couldn't possible say that the 252 is heavier built, in fact I think almost all would say the opposite....and that includes "fit and finish".

I'm very happy with my BB and when I hear negative remarks that I feel aren't warranted I'm gonna speak up...just like you would if someone persistently took (what you felt were) unfair "pot shots" at Scag or Gravely.