Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
I think the hardest things to give up are the guaranteed paychecks with annual raise (unless I for some reason get let go), the VERY cheap full cadillac of plans family coverage health care package with a $1200 debit card to cover all the copays, and the retirement plan which is I give 3+% of my income and they put in 8% extra. Yes you read that right, I put in 3% of my salary and they "match" it with 8% of my salary.... I mean thats like free gambling money for me in the market with my average rate of return being 9.6% so far. Free money to make money. This is what keeps my planted at this career not to mention I'll have EVERY holiday off and very light summers, hence the part time landscaping. I guess maybe I've answered this for myself and will most likely stick to part time and maybe even part time with summer employees. Make extra side money and delegate all the back breaking work to summer help..
Anyone that has a well paying job, great health benefits that you retire with, you have to be crazy to walk away from that. You can always retire then expand your part time route.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Anyone that has a well paying job, great health benefits that you retire with, you have to be crazy to walk away from that. You can always retire then expand your part time route.
To most people it would seem that way but all that high pay and great benefits usually comes with a price, as was my case, if I could have stayed in my last job I would not been able to retire with any kind of "Life" it was just too stressfull I knew it was coming as usually the case and I had mentally and finacially prepared myself for the inevitable, and just as I suspected when my number came up I was out the door with not so much as a thank you for your service, and there were umpteen more right behind me. Some took huge pay cuts and went elsewhere and continued the grind, some like me "Woke up" and took control of their futures.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
well my point was I have real bills as you call.

I don't live with my parents because I have to. my business is providing for me just fine. I live with them because I have no reason not to. I'm single without kids, wife or girl friend. and right now I'm perfectly happy with where I am in life.

why buy a house or rent an apartment at this stage in my life. for me there just isn't enough of a good reason to move out.
I'd like to hear the parents side of the story? I wouldn't advocate nor condone my kid with a reasonably successful business living with me. I can think of ONE VERY GOOD REASON TO MOVE OUT! It's called ADULTHOOD!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Well I was downsized from a $70,000/year job as a electronics tech from the number one luxury automaker, does that count? I'm 47 single have my own place and pay my own way. After realizing I was never going to get back to that kind of salary working for the other guy I set out to do it on my own, it's slow and very challenging, but I enjoy it most everyday.
See for me my salary is no where near that, not even remotely close even adding in the benefits. So I could possibly make more than my current career and take on my wife's health benefits. It's tough too when you really enjoy the career AND enjoy landscaping. Not easy to choose. But your input is appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I'd like to hear the parents side of the story? I wouldn't advocate nor condone my kid with a reasonably successful business living with me. I can think of ONE VERY GOOD REASON TO MOVE OUT! It's called ADULTHOOD!
My thoughts exactly just didn't want to say it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
My thoughts exactly just didn't want to say it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a hard time understanding these parents that don't want to let their kids grow up, anyway that's for another thread another day.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
You have an interesting post, Dave. It was quite long, so I would like to comment on two key points that you quoted above. Both of them go hand-in-hand, and are how I got started in this business ten years ago. Coincidentally, you and I both service the same market. I have found that being a one-man show has more perks than pits, but one has to develop systems to enable a business to run itself.....well, almost. I have spent much of my downtime marketing my business, and surprisingly it cost me very little financially. Today, online marketing is the way to go. I have a $200.00 web-building program and about $50.00 in signage on my truck. Whenever I mow, I usually leave a couple door hangers on the neighbor's front door. I get calls from 10% of these, and close on about half of them. I print the door hangers myself on card stock from a free online template I downloaded. I treat my customers like gold, and run monthly promos that go in with their monthly invoice. This generates plenty of extra revenue. I also don't lowball bid.
All of these practices equate to a marketing system, a.k.a. my revenue building machine.
but one has to develop systems to enable a business to run itself.....well, almost.

Can you explain what systems you use?

Dave...
Old 10-06-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak406 View Post
I'll bite, I own a jet ski granted I bought it used off a friend for a good price. I enjoy it. Do I need it ? No, however I don't get to take vacations because of school and my business. I don't get days off often however when I do I use the jet ski as my vacation. Most people spend 2-3 grand a YEAR on vacation so I figured spending 2 grand and using that as my vacation for a few years is cheaper and I have a asset that I can liquidate if need be...... People who spend cash on vacation lose there money you can't liquidate a vacation. I'm not saying vacations are wrong or bad but that is my view on my toy. Eventually I'd like a boat but that's down the road
I'll bite back.

I take no vacations ever and work 5-6 days a week each and every year. I don't own a jet ski or a boat or even know anyone with a lake to use those things.

I spend my days off sleeping, playing video games and catching up on paper work and house chores.

I'm the happiest I've ever been.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone have regrets/joys leaving a decent full time job for starting a business?

What can I man and a helper gross in 4 days 8 hours a day
Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Valley Lawn Service View Post
What can I man and a helper gross in 4 days 8 hours a day
Waaaaay too many variables to get any kind of useful answer.