Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Calling Deere 900 owners/users

How many of you have ever swapped the top end of the damper into one of its other positions? I know they used to say there were 3 positions for the Z900's and 2 for the Z700's. Mine is a 2012, and it only has 2 mounting positions. A couple days ago I swapped my dampers from the stock position they come in, to the second mounting hole that is farther forward.

To say it makes a difference is a huge understatement. They are now much easier to move, and input control is far better. It's a lot easier to avoid turf scuffs on fast slowdowns and turns. Input is smoother and more gradual (though I don't meant to imply it is sluggish, because it is certainly is not), and just much more smooth and even.

I am just curious if anyone else has ever bothered to try this. I never did on my Z720, and now wish I had, and I wish I'd have done it to this 950 back when I bought it in the early spring. I'll never switch back to the stock position again.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I only see one spot for mine. And the 2012 I had only had one. Mind posting a pic? I asked my mechanic a while back, and never hears of multiple places for the damper
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have to go out to the shop and take a pic for ya. Trust me, you have the second hole at least. Both my 720 and this 950 have at least two. If you look at where the top end of the damper mounts, one nut at one end is installed into a hex socket to hold it while you tighten the other nut. The alternate mounting hole is farther forwards on that aluminum arm, and doesn't have the hex socket around it, which seems weird to me.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I went out and took a couple pics for ya. This is where I have them now. you can see the stock hex socket mounting hole to the right of where I have it now-
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2012, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks. I wasn't sure if that's where they were suppose to go or not because it didn't have the special spot for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am really happy with how much smoother the sticks are now, and they're definitely easier to move. Basically all it is doing is placing more leverage against the dampers which makes them easier to manipulate, but it compresses the dampers less with an equal throw of the sticks, making input more controlable and precise.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm going to give it a try when I have a chance.
Posted via Mobile Device