Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

riding mower or zero turn?

i am looking into getting either a riding mower or zero turn. However, a top of the line riding mowers are about $3000 and less. the zero-turn is about $4800 and up. I am on a budget,Should I use my money to gthe cheaper one
36" Walk behind bobcat Mower with sulky.
Echo/stihl stuff
5 by 10 trailer.
Commercial Pesticide License#:19195
and a little bit of JESUS

www.islandlawnandpressure.com

Don't Quit Try Harder!!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello. I'm not sure what your situation is as far as how many properties you need to mow. I had the same dilema at the beginning of this year. I needed something so I got a riding mowing. It's not as quick as a zero turn but it got me through the mowing season. I wouldn't have been able to do it without one.
I hopefully will get a z-turn for next season. It will most likely be home a owner model in the beginning but the riding mower was too. I say get what you can afford and move up when you can. I have to keep reminding myself of that. LOL
Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your going to get one don't short yourself by getting a non-zero turn when it's what you really need. You don't see very many professional and legitimate landscapers using anything but a zero turn unless it's a walk behind. Look into getting a used zero turn. I paid $7k for my Walker with less than 900 hours. I know that sounds like a lot but it was at least $12k out the door new.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You also need to be aware that you can't use a zero turn like you can a walk behind. A walk behind will mow hills with ease that a zero turn or stander can't handle. Zero turns in the 36" range also very top heavy. For residential use a walk behind is much better. A small zero turn is going to end up being nothing but a handicap.

This is why Scag dumped their short lived 36 zero turn. Lots of lazy guys bought the Scag 36 ZTR thinking it was a godsend only to find out it was a waste of money.

I'm guessing your Bobcat WB is a belt drive PIA. Try to find a hydro 36 WB and you will find it works a world better and will be budget friendly. Investing a money in a home owner quality riding tractor is going to be a bad investment. Plus all the experienced mowing guys in town are going to be laughing at you every time they see your tractor.

I can tell your inexperienced so make sure you sulky is a true Jim Velke made unit and not a Jungle Jim(or other knock off) piece of crap that doesn't rotate 360. Investing even a penny in a Velke or Sulke that can't rotate 360 is a waste. The clone units all jackknife when you back up instead of simply rotating 180 and allowing you to back up.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/