Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Are you serious? Read below.

I'd love to see what is taking 5 minutes to secure two bungee cords. I'd hate to think what panhead would charge if she had THREE bungee cords on the gate. Good god, he might have to call a "lock" smith to figure it out.

Yea Im serious, we arnt there to play around with gate locks. The owner of the gate should be the one investing in a good lock and having it installed. If they were my dogs I would certainly be buying a good gate lock, how ever much it costs. Bungee cords are not made for securing gates! geese if she wants to have pets and someone to cut her lawn she should be the one to make the improvements.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Yea Im serious, we arnt there to play around with gate locks. The owner of the gate should be the one investing in a good lock and having it installed. If they were my dogs I would certainly be buying a good gate lock, how ever much it costs. Bungee cords are not made for securing gates! geese if she wants to have pets and someone to cut her lawn she should be the one to make the improvements.
Actually, we are there to make the property look amazing and we do whatever is necessary to do just that. If there is a particular problem on a property, we either, (1) suck it up and deal with it, (2) talk to the client and resolve the issue, or (3) drop the client because its too much of a headache.

We should never do something halfway just because we were too scared to approach the customer or because we don't want to lose the money.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi beachys, you mustnt have read my first post as I said the same thing, if the job was worthwhile then I said to spend as much time as he needed to ensure the gate was locked. I also mentioned that if the job wasnt so great paying, he should discuss the issue with the client by telling her he doesnt feel comfortable using the gate this way etc, but be prepared to lose her as a client as these woman do not like it unless you do exactly as they ask, if they get any hint of us disputing them then they will get rid of us as retaliation.

My best paying customer would never pick up the dog **** of her small patch of back lawn, and being a small patch after 1 week it was covered in it from a dog which she must have over fed with rich food because the **** really STANK. but because she was such a good paying client, very well paying, I stopped myself from even requesting that she collect the dog **** as I felt she was paying for that extra service.

So in the gate situation, if its worthwhile do the same and spend the time it takes, if not worthwhile then do what is the RIGHT thing to do and tell her its her property and her responsibilty.

By "sucking it up" I dont agree this is the correct thing to do, however it is best to do this if u dont want to lose the client.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just say sorry, and ask her if you can install a new latch if you think locking the gate up is SO HARD!

Have a nice day!

Website
Like our Facebook Page!
Snapper CP218520
Snapper 21351PD new engine
LawnBoy 10227 wi/bagger
Kawasaki KRB650B
Stihl BG55
John Deere
Shindaiwa T242
Shindaiwa RS41
Husqvarna 445 saw
Stihl MS210C
Stihl KM90R wi/ trimmer/blower/edger
2014 Quality Steel and Aluminum 5x8 Utility Trailer.
Toro single stage snow thrower.

Click here for my work thread!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Whatever. For me, I put it back the way it was. If stuff like that bothers you, maybe you should drop them. Remember, there's always another guy to cut the grass. I bet you're one of the guys that won't drop the gate for less then $50
Old 10-07-2012, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Whatever. For me, I put it back the way it was. If stuff like that bothers you, maybe you should drop them. Remember, there's always another guy to cut the grass. I bet you're one of the guys that won't drop the gate for less then $50
Yes i've had a few clients in the past that are more trouble then they are worth, so I let them go (in a professional manner) and I let someone else come along and take over the job, they may need it more than I. Anyways we all have our own opinion & Ive had mine now so ill let it be. Cheers
Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
Is this really a serious question??? You were too lazy to put the second bungee cord back on (Which is the way you found the gate) and her dog got out, STOP BEING LAZY AND DO YOUR JOB.
Try to un-tie it when you can't get your fingers or hand through the chain link. Its stomach high fence and you'd probably tell your helper to go around and get it. Thats being lazy!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
heh heh, OP, i feel your pain. Not the answers wanted see, huh?
Of course, someone in the bunch has to be a hot shot and give me a smart ass answer, hence why I don't visit the forum A LOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Suck it, Al Gore.

Last edited by Panhead; 10-10-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a policy in place for this exactly. Anything we move or change during the course of our work on a jobsite. we put it back exactly like it was before we got there. Gates, yard art, hoses, sprinklers, etc. No matter how trivial it may seem.

2011 Gravely 252 26HP
2011 Gravely Pro Walk 36 Hydro 16HP
1 Stihl KM110 with hedge trimmer and edger
2 Stihl FS90 - Stihl HS45
Husky 435 16" - Stihl MS290 18"
Stihl BR600 - Husky BT150 - Stihl BG85
Generac 3100-PSI 2.8-GPM Pressure Washer
Jungle Jim 3TR and 2BH
82"x16' open trailer
2007 F150 FX2 5.4
Lots of Locks!

"It is not hard what we do. It's like anything else in life. Add will power, desire, and the ability to look for solutions...not excuses. Then you will succeed."
Old 10-11-2012, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
I got this call this morning I recently picked up this year. She has a husky, not sure what it is, gray puffy dog. Guessing weighs little under 90 lbs. Her back yard is gated and the driveway has split gates you can swing open. She uses bungy (sp) cords to prevent it from opening. She uses both to hold them closed. I only put one on as I got done with her backyard. I tied it in a way that you couldn't open easily. Her call this morning complains about me not using the other bungy cord to hold the gates closed. Apparently, the dog escaped from the yard and almost got hit by a vehicle. I know when I tied the gate up, you couldn't swing it open. The fence/gates aren't high, just stomach height. I only put the one on so I can get in easily, cut it and secure it.

This blame got me pretty pissed off this morning and in a bad mood. I didn't call her back. I know she doesn't use a leash when she leaves the dog in the backyard. I was going to simply leave her a message that it was not my responsiblilty that the dog got loose. She's convinced that 2 bungy cords work. But as I stated, I had the bungy cord tied in a way that the gates wouldn't open.

How do I handle this situation? What should I tell her?

Earlier this year, I had another dog owner call me up and complain about the weeds in her lawn. Apparently, one of her dogs got stung by a few bees. I called her back up and just told her that the lawn needs to be fertilized. As for a dog owner, they don't want to hear that and want you to cut so low that your cutting dirt.

Any feedback is appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
Try to un-tie it when you can't get your fingers or hand through the chain link. Its stomach high fence and you'd probably tell your helper to go around and get it. Thats being lazy!!!!

Of course, someone in the bunch has to be a hot shot and give me a smart ass answer,
hence why I don't visit the forum A LOT!
Did you expect anything different especially when you are in the wrong?

What's with the lawn needs fert to get rid of weeds? When did this become the norm? I thought fert helped the grass grow not kill weeds. It almost sounds as though you don't know what you're doing. To me, your original post sounds like it's all about you and nothing to do with the customer.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

So you are getting mad because someone called you and was complaining about her dog getting out when undoubtably you were the last one in the gate. Whats the big deal I know time is money but 5 min to do what you have to do to keep the customer I think I would just take that five min as a loss. But maybe I am crazy who knows