Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
Sickle bars also don't cut clippings up, just lay them down. Most people don't know how a reel mower works, let alone how to adjust them, sharpen the bed knife, etc. Lastly, from personal experience reel mowers won't cut taller grass or weeds well at all. You'd have to mow multiple times per week at low heights for it to work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly right.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Oooops, .

Not sure where my head was at on that one.

I'm sure its because its late
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
For one thing, the cost to sharpen the blades would be prohibitive to have done, and doing it by yourself would require special skills that many don't have, not to mention the time involved. Another would be reel replacement costs.

If you actually look at how a combine works, it is totally different than what you are asking here. The combine uses a sickle bar cutter the length of its platform/header (wheat and bean header), and then the reel basket "combs" the crop matt into the feeder housing to be processed. The corn head is so different that it isn't even close to what you are asking.
Now why you going and calling him a corn head because he wants to use a combine to mow his grass? Maybe he can convince Bad Boy to make one.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Actually I was thinking a conbine was a single reel and a sickle combined. I love a reel cut, I like the idea of the reel being out in front. I hate the triplex, or gang. I understand it, but I would rather have just one 36" or 48" reel. I understand they do this because of the expense to make one big reel, and the bigger the harder it would be to adjust the cutting bar so the cut is even across the reel. Sharpening a reel is not hard, you just back reel with compound.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would think a 48" reel would scalp alot
Old 10-07-2012, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sickle stripes?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
Actually I was thinking a conbine was a single reel and a sickle combined. I love a reel cut, I like the idea of the reel being out in front. I hate the triplex, or gang. I understand it, but I would rather have just one 36" or 48" reel. I understand they do this because of the expense to make one big reel, and the bigger the harder it would be to adjust the cutting bar so the cut is even across the reel. Sharpening a reel is not hard, you just back reel with compound.
Posted via Mobile Device
In a previous post it was explained on a bean/wheat head for a combine. All the reel does is feed the plant material into the machine. A pull behind hay conditioner/mower is the same concept.

A corn head is a different animal. It grabs the stalk and pulls it down and there are plates that strip the ear off the stalk, then there are feeder chains in each row that pull the ear into the head. The feeder chain also doubles as a way to help pull the corn stalk into the head.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
sickle stripes?
Funny you say that as if you look at a bean or wheat field after a cut and you'll see stripes. I think it's more due to the head pushing over the cut stalks after the cut though.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Also, in regards to big sickles.

Newer/larger bean/wheat heads have a flex design that allows the bar and platform to flex and move over the terrain.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
In a previous post it was explained on a bean/wheat head for a combine. All the reel does is feed the plant material into the machine. A pull behind hay conditioner/mower is the same concept.

A corn head is a different animal. It grabs the stalk and pulls it down and there are plates that strip the ear off the stalk, then there are feeder chains in each row that pull the ear into the head. The feeder chain also doubles as a way to help pull the corn stalk into the head.

Don't forget on corn heads they have chopping knives now under each row. It kinda bush hogs the grass. The knives are similar to the meg mo
Posted via Mobile Device