Register free!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

The OPs job looks pretty good, I like the contrast on the different color soldier. The field pattern doesn't really look great, but at least looks well executed.

To the above pictures of the other walkway....who does something like that? I mean I guess I can kind of see your pain when reffering to the amount of cutting you have, but it wouldn't be all that bad if cut in a better way. I certainly would never change pattern like that in the middle of a flowing walkway, spoke or not.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Show me how you did it on a similar walkway. I already said it was less than ideal but me and the homeowner agreed this was the best compromise. Got paid and a $150 tip so its not all that bad
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it looks pretty good for a first time install, but a few things I see that stand out that should be addressed.

Yes, just cut whol pieces for your soldier course and loose the small wedges.

Salior course looks good, up until the walkway. I would have made the walkway about 1' wider becasue it just looks way to narrow with the salior course.

I guess this is more of a question than doing something different. But did you pull string lines when you laid your brick? 1 going perpendicular with the house/stair case and the other perpendicular with the patio area? To me it looks like your pattern got out of line somewhere. You should pull a string line off something square going each direction then start laying your pattern, that way your always laying square. THe other thing that stands out slightly, which is maybe why your walk looks a little different is that it looks like the walkway is on a slight angle instead of square off the patio wall and the rock wall.

Just a few minor things but it will all work out over time as you do more.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I'm about to engage on my first paver walkway, hope it turns out as nice as yours did. I'm trying to get a hint on how to bid it? it's a 150' long 4 1/2 ' wide I know the pavers all cost different but just a close estimation would be nice?
Depending on matierials and site conditions that is all a 11-15k project after installation and then restoration.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemelo216 View Post
it looks pretty good for a first time install, but a few things I see that stand out that should be addressed.

Yes, just cut whol pieces for your soldier course and loose the small wedges.

Salior course looks good, up until the walkway. I would have made the walkway about 1' wider becasue it just looks way to narrow with the salior course.

I guess this is more of a question than doing something different. But did you pull string lines when you laid your brick? 1 going perpendicular with the house/stair case and the other perpendicular with the patio area? To me it looks like your pattern got out of line somewhere. You should pull a string line off something square going each direction then start laying your pattern, that way your always laying square. THe other thing that stands out slightly, which is maybe why your walk looks a little different is that it looks like the walkway is on a slight angle instead of square off the patio wall and the rock wall.

Just a few minor things but it will all work out over time as you do more.
I wanted to make the walk 4' instead of 3', but the customer thought it would look too wide for the area. The pattern looks out of alignment from where I took the pic because the stairs there are not perpendicular to the house or porch. The pattern is laid to the house and porch and is square to them.

Thanks for the input. All is greatly appreciated, its a great way for a solo to improve the next project. The more eyes the better!
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Am i the only one who kinida likes r.j.'s design...?

If it were me i would have used a more greyish red brick to not contrast so much with the grey pavers, also bring the red bricks to the border, then do rj's idea of breaking the design from the patio and walkway, use the red bricks to seperate the two of them.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hi Bob, looks like you've been busy. What did you use to excavate everything....reason I ask is my skid is available if you ever need it. We did one total landscape renovation this year and ended up installing a patio along with it, came out nice, customer's were happy with it so thats all that matters right.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net