Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have read it said to add 100# of 33-0-7 or whatever to a tank. 100 gallon I presume.!!
With a carrier of 2-3 gallons /M you are getting burn. Even with the use of potassium nitrate!
Why in the world are you guys using this much granular-dissolvable fert.? If you are running a rate of 5 gallons /M.........why not reduce the mix by 50% and run only 2-3 gallons/M?
I am mixing 1-50# bag of 46/0/0 only...............in 100 gallons at 3 gallons/m. No burn.
Different grasses maybe as I am bermuda and zoysia.........not any if minimal st. auggie in my area.
I just don't follow the use of more carrier in a hot mixture.......why not reduce the fertilizer mixture and spray less water.!!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
I have read it said to add 100# of 33-0-7 or whatever to a tank. 100 gallon I presume.!!
With a carrier of 2-3 gallons /M you are getting burn. Even with the use of potassium nitrate!
Why in the world are you guys using this much granular-dissolvable fert.? If you are running a rate of 5 gallons /M.........why not reduce the mix by 50% and run only 2-3 gallons/M?
I am mixing 1-50# bag of 46/0/0 only...............in 100 gallons at 3 gallons/m. No burn.
Different grasses maybe as I am bermuda and zoysia.........not any if minimal st. auggie in my area.
I just don't follow the use of more carrier in a hot mixture.......why not reduce the fertilizer mixture and spray less water.!!!!
Liquid Fert might be a little more sophisicated than you might want to deal with. stick with Spread it & Forget It.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, when the common sense thing doesn't add up........one will question those that complain about the outcome. If you squeeze a lemon in a gallon of water and spray it. IT BURNS the grass. Then squeeze this same lemon in 2 gallons of water and spray it. IT DOESN"T BURN! the grass.
You can either reduce your mixture by 50% or apply more water like you are implying.

Just saying.
It does reduce the initial application of N<P<K but without the burn potential to those that are needing to get more acreage out of a tank full.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Turf can only Foliar up take about a 1/10 of pound of N per 24 hour period. So enough carrier to reach the root is necessary if you are applying more than a small amount of N.

Therefore there should be a healthy balance between Carrier and the quantity of Fertilizer being applied. To strong of a salt solution (fertilizer) will burn turf.

I dont understand your post are you agreeing or disagreeing with what I said.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So what melts best
I generally use Ammonium Sulphate granules
Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Clean ammonium sulfate granules is pretty soluble in water. 2 lb will dissolve in 1 gallon. Does not mean it is a good idea to apply 21/2 gallons of such a mix to a lawn. 5-10 gallons is a safe volume for fertilizer applications over 1/4 lb N. Golf courses apply 1/10-1/4 lb N in 2-3 gallons. But as Ric said, that is on a 14 day application schedule.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-08-2012, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

So if I am on a 6 week schedule I need to keep using granular
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to clear up a few points.

First:: Liquid Fert is not necessarily FOLIAR Fertilization. Once applied past the point of run off the application is a root up take.

Second:: We can talk general blends like the 33-0-17 that was a special Lesco Blend at one time. But everyones soil and climate is different and tweaking that blend to your conditions is the Trick.

Third:: Turf type plays a big role also. Both in Fertilizer requirements and Method of Application. My thick St Augustine turf needs 5 gallon per thousand to penetrate deep enough to do any good. Some People even believe is going 10 gallons or more. I use a wand with a 40 Degree tip that I hold about 16 inches off the ground and over lap 3 times. So WHAT & HOW you do it can make a differences.

Forth Point:: so far every element compound talked about in this Thread is in fact BOOM & BUST FERTILIZER. Timing is critical and I might suggest slow release Granular as a back up. Or use Granules as your main program with a Liquid back up.

Turf Dawg

6 weeks is about the life of a Liquid app in my sandy soil. Your Texas Clay should hold up longer.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Point taken well Ric!
I often find myself talking to you as though you were right next door.........sandy loam soils.
I forget your methods is designed for your sandy clayic soil mixes. I can now see where you need more carrier to hold on to the fertilizer and the roots.
In my case, this nut job at helena Chem told me how to use granular urea in my mix. This staff member and part of the sales team advised it as my state extension agent didn't know anything other than granular for crops.
I wish I had more educated people to speak to in order to deliver a quality fertilizer in liquid applications. I would love to apply multiple things in one shot.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Point taken well Ric!
I often find myself talking to you as though you were right next door.........sandy loam soils.
I forget your methods is designed for your sandy clayic soil mixes. I can now see where you need more carrier to hold on to the fertilizer and the roots.
In my case, this nut job at helena Chem told me how to use granular urea in my mix. This staff member and part of the sales team advised it as my state extension agent didn't know anything other than granular for crops.
I wish I had more educated people to speak to in order to deliver a quality fertilizer in liquid applications. I would love to apply multiple things in one shot.
Yep he dumped on you. I hope he gave you a Discount. It is just as good just harder to dissolve. Granular Urea isn't very popular in Florida. Fact is I even posted I couldn't find any for a Pasture. I believe Granular Urea is popular this time of year up north for Spring Green Up. But I could be wrong. Years ago Russia dumped a large load of granular Urea on the world market. I jumped on the $ 5.00 a bag price and had no problem dissolving. But it had Black specs in it. My filter took the Specs out and I had no problems with it. Takes a lot of agitation to dissolve it.

I am forever thinking of niche markets and Granular Urea would be a great product to supplement Pasture fertilizers. Small Horse estates in the 5 to 10 acre size was my target. It isn't a Huge market because I saw the two extremes. Either they have the Horse so they don't have to bush hog. Or they need to get rid of the horse and let the pasture grow back. Over stocking is the Number one problem with these commercial stables. No amount of Pasture management will over come over grazing.