Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2012, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCountyLawn View Post
Plan on getting a cab on your skid steer if ya dont have one. I used a mulcher with an open cab and it was loaded before the day was done.

Running a mulcher without a lexan door is insane unless your wearing kevlar body armour.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Before we get to the discussion at hand on how to do the project, I want to reinforce what KSSS said about how insane you have to be to mulch or mow with an open cab machine to those out there who feel that you can get away without the proper protection. I've taken whacks to my cab door with both my mulcher and brush mower with large pieces of debris that made my ears ring for several minutes. If I didn't have that door, I wouldn't be here right now as I'd have a hole in my chest that you could pass a football through. Even with a Kevlar vest, I'd still be in serious shape due to all the broken bones I would have in my body from taking a piece of debris shot off my mower or mulcher to my body.

Jacob, in terms of your project, I don't think you'd necessarily need a skidsteer mulcher for those lots. With anything less than a Supertrak machine or prime-mover mounted mulcher, those logs will be hard to tackle if they are not thoroughly rotten. Like others have suggested, take your grapple through there and clean out all the big wood. Once that is done, I don't see anything in there that wouldn't be able to be handled by a mower on a skid in a few short hours.

Any questions- feel free to shoot 'em my way.

Andrew

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 10-07-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Running a mulcher without a lexan door is insane unless your wearing kevlar body armour.

This is correct, it was all ground level stuff never had raise it. It just mostly put leaves, poison everything and saw dust/dirt in it. However running the same machine with a brush hog was nastier then the day with the mulcher.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Andrew and KSSS.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

looks tight to me for mulching. I would get the big wood out and mow the rest of the lot and it will look fantastic. With a mulching head, you will need to back up a lot as stuff gets kicked out/under the machine and that's especially true for round, hard wood. If you have a lot of experience with the head, you can minimize the ejection of material. If those big logs are rotted and you are set on mulching, cut them to a length narrower than your head and pile them in one location. Trying to chase logs or plane long logs takes a lot of time and you will still find them ejected under machine. Without much room to back up and maneuver, you will get frustrated.

If it was my job and I had a place for those big logs, I'd cut them to whatever length would fit in my dump trailer and then just get a rotary mower for the underbrush and as I stated, it will look fantastic. You won't have to back up as much and you can maneuver around trees. You will burn less fuel, too.
On some of the more rotted wood or "chunks", a little finesse with the rotary will chop it up enough to not be an issue.
Looks like you could really make those lots "pop" from the road.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-07-2012, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Would i be able to find just a front door for my mustang skidsteer?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

d5 or bigger dozer!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Looks like you could really make those lots "pop" from the road.
Thats the affect im really going for. draw the intrest of the developer and other builders who own lots.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Would i be able to find just a front door for my mustang skidsteer?
Posted via Mobile Device
it would take a little work but you can get a standard door kit and have a lexan insert made. I know a place that does it but they need the pattern. I shipped them an old window and they made me an exact fit lexan replacement for a Bobcat K series rated to 300 mph impact.

Definitely get the lexan if you go with a mulcher. A lot can go wrong. I have small logs ejected that destroyed the metal threshold (bent it into my cab) on a K series Bobcat door frame. That would have been painful had it only been glass and luckily it hit the $50 metal threshold and not my $500 lexan door. My doors now are about $1000 to replace. Sucks but it's a safety thing. I've seen guys operating mulchers with glass doors or no doors at all. Used to be a video of a guy operating a mulcher with a motorcycle helmet (open cab). Didn't see any body armor..

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For some reason I picture some moron wearing a motorcycle helmet standing on home base while someone loads a pitching maching with wood shards.

You are over thinking this way to much man, 1 guy on a nice chainsaw, grapple bucket, and have 2 guys running weedeaters with brush blades on them. Save up some dough brotha

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!