Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 10-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,348
I have no problem using whatever but BB look generac!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-07-2012, 01:31 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
I'm not aware of BB having anymore problems with their frames than anyone else....are you? If they can save money by not using curves, and the quality doesn't suffer, then great!

As I said before, my son owns a 252 that listed for more than my Lightning and anyone seeing them side by side in person couldn't possible say that the 252 is heavier built, in fact I think almost all would say the opposite....and that includes "fit and finish".

I'm very happy with my BB and when I hear negative remarks that I feel aren't warranted I'm gonna speak up...just like you would if someone persistently took (what you felt were) unfair "pot shots" at Scag or Gravely.
I remember the early Exmarks had problems with cracking welds with this design.

This is my personal opinion only. Honestly I don't know if Gravely should keep the 200 series. I think it makes more sense to make the 100 series(small frame ZTR) with the 400 series features like air seat and isolated platforms etc. Drop the 200 series(large frame ZTR) and only offer the 400 series(also a large frame ZTR) and 100 series. It makes no sense to buy a 200 series when you can get the 400 series for a little bit more and its twice the machine. The 200 series is entry level compared to the 400 series!!!

Last edited by GMLC; 10-07-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-07-2012, 01:40 PM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I remember the early Exmarks had problems with cracking welds with this design.

This is my personal opinion only. Honestly I don't know if Gravely should keep the 200 series. I think it makes more sense to make the 100 series(small frame ZTR) with the 400 series features like air seat and isolated platforms etc. Drop the 200 series(large frame ZTR) and only offer the 400 series(also a large frame ZTR) and 100 series. It makes no sense to buy a 200 series when you can get the 400 series for a little bit more and its twice the machine. The 200 series is entry level compared to the 400 series!!!
I drove a 460 around and the only thing I didn't like about it was the solid front tires, but I know that's subjective. My son bought the 252 back in '08 (before the 400 series was being made).
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-07-2012, 01:44 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
I drove a 460 around and the only thing I didn't like about it was the solid front tires, but I know that's subjective. My son bought the 252 back in '08 (before the 400 series was being made).
Its strange because the front tires should have felt like 8 psi. They are hybrid run flats and are not solid rubber.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
If you get the Super get the 66" It performs so much better than the 72, I can't explain why, decks look similiar underneath, but have a buddy that has both here and they favor the 66. They mow lots of huge properties too.
If this is the case he has something wrong with the 72, and yes that can happen. They brought me a brand spanking new 35/72 Super Z with .6 hrs. on the meter to try. I immediately saw there was a strip of uncut grass left between the center and outside blades on both sides. I talked with the area rep about what I saw, and it was like this has never been seen by anyone but me, and well, my dealer also, because I had him take the mower and run it, and he saw the same thing.

I've owned and operated 60", 66", and 72" Hustler Super Z mowers, and they have all given a very good cut on the grasses and weeds in my area. The new 72 gives a very smooth cut, to the point one could not tell what size deck was used when looking at the mowed area. I can also maneuver the 72 in the same areas as the 60 and 66 with no problem whatsoever. Honestly the only difference I can tell in the machines is I can mow more grass with each increase in deck size.

Below is a picture of the new 72" deck cutting crab grass at full speed, and this is a good close shot so a person could easily tell if any grass was left uncut, or uneven. I cannot believe the person you know says the 66" cuts better than the 72", look at these pictures and see if this would not be considered a very good cut.

I can say without doubt, if he sees a difference in cut between his 66 and 72, with the 66 being better, there is a problem with his 72, because every Super Z deck I've owned gives a very acceptable cut, but I did see a problem with the cut from the new demo they brought me to try.

__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
I drove a 460 around and the only thing I didn't like about it was the solid front tires, but I know that's subjective. My son bought the 252 back in '08 (before the 400 series was being made).
The 460 has a real short wheelbase,I can hardly fit on one.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-07-2012, 06:53 PM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Its strange because the front tires should have felt like 8 psi. They are hybrid run flats and are not solid rubber.
The tires on the 460 I drove around were definitely solid, they rode like a log wagon. I have the hybrid run flats on my Lightning....the difference is daylight and dark. I weigh 250 and there was zero give when I stood directly on the front tire of the 460.

When I asked about why they used the solid tires they said that a lot of people gave up comfort for no chance of a flat occurring.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
The tires on the 460 I drove around were definitely solid, they rode like a log wagon. I have the hybrid run flats on my Lightning....the difference is daylight and dark. I weigh 250 and there was zero give when I stood directly on the front tire of the 460.

When I asked about why they used the solid tires they said that a lot of people gave up comfort for no chance of a flat occurring.
The dealer must have put those on because solid tires are not even a factory option on the 400 series. It also makes no sense because the hybrid run flats that come on the 400 series hold no air thus can not go flat...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-07-2012, 07:23 PM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
The dealer must have put those on because solid tires are not even a factory option on the 400 series. It also makes no sense because the hybrid run flats that come on the 400 series hold no air thus can not go flat...
Posted via Mobile Device
Had a couple of afterthoughts after leaving the computer from my last post.

In all fairness to Gravely the 460 I rode around on (they wouldn't let me turn the deck on so I certainly can't use the word demo):
The area I rode it on had gravel/ rocks that were from very small to about 1" in dia. This, coupled with the solid front tires, made the ride much rougher than a grassy surface would.

I never have been able to discern what the specific terms are for the several different types of castor tires that are used on the ZTR's. I've heard some call a certain type one thing while someone else called it something different. There was a thread that covered this but I think there was still a lack of agreement then.

The type tire that is on the front of my Lightning holds air but can be run even without air pressure so you can use the mower until you can fix the puncture. Some called them "run flats" and I've heard some refer to them as "hybrid", so I'm not sure what the correct term is.

But, seems to me, since you can still run them "flat" the term "run flats" would be correct. If the tires on your Gravely don't hold air, you can't have a "flat", so it seems odd that anyone would call them "run flats".

But, the tires on the front of the 460 I rode around on were solid, special deal or not, I don't know, I didn't ask.

Last edited by StanWilhite; 10-07-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-07-2012, 07:33 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Had a couple of afterthoughts after leaving the computer from my last post.

In all fairness to Gravely the 460 I rode around on (they wouldn't let me turn the deck on so I certainly can't use the word demo):
The area I rode it on had gravel/ rocks that were from very small to about 1" in dia. This, coupled with the solid front tires, made the ride much rougher than a grassy surface would.

I never have been able to discern what the specific terms are for the several different types of castor tires that are used on the ZTR's. I've heard some call a certain type one thing while someone else called it something different. There was a thread that covered this but I think there was still a lack of agreement then.

The type tire that is on the front of my Lightning holds air but can be run even without air pressure so you can use the mower until you can fix the puncture. Some called them "run flats" and I've heard some refer to them as "hybrid", so I'm not sure what the correct term is.

But, seems to me, since you can still run them "flat" it seems to me that the term "run flats" would be correct. If the tires on your Gravely don't hold air, you can't have a "flat", so it seems odd that anyone would call them "run flats".

But, the tires on the front of the 460 I rode around on were solid, special deal or not, I don't know, I didn't ask.
I have to agree with you here. All the names are confusing! I just wish that dealer didnt put solid tires on the 460 as the hybrid tires are one of the key features that contribute to the amazing ride and works in conjuntion with the air seat and isolated platforms...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Page generated in 0.07524 seconds with 10 queries