LawnSite Fanatic

Oil Analysis-WS 125 hrs.

sending in to blackstone this week....will report results
Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
sending in to blackstone this week....will report results
Now I'm just asking, but why do most all small engine manufacturers recommend changing the oil Evey 50 hours and filter 100 hours? To me it just seems like it's not worth the risk. There was another guy here that sent his in and they said at 150 hours it was still good. I just se all the guys that get big hours out of there engines stay strictly to the 50/100 hour guideline.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver122876 View Post
Now I'm just asking, but why do most all small engine manufacturers recommend changing the oil Evey 50 hours and filter 100 hours? To me it just seems like it's not worth the risk. There was another guy here that sent his in and they said at 150 hours it was still good. I just se all the guys that get big hours out of there engines stay strictly to the 50/100 hour guideline.
B/c at those changes.....you will surely for the most part, not run into any issues....BUT....car manufacturers say to change you motor oil at 3-K. Most mechanics will tell you on dino oil you can go to 5-K these days. I run Amsoil in my Tundra and go to 15-K. An oil report doesn't lie.

Why throw away good oil? If it is totally fine changing every 125-150 hours...why change at 50?

BTW-I sent in oil from this same mower at 50 hours....there was still TONS of additives in the oil....50 hours was a waste.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
B/c at those changes.....you will surely for the most part, not run into any issues....BUT....car manufacturers say to change you motor oil at 3-K. Most mechanics will tell you on dino oil you can go to 5-K these days. I run Amsoil in my Tundra and go to 15-K. An oil report doesn't lie.

Why throw away good oil? If it is totally fine changing every 125-150 hours...why change at 50?

BTW-I sent in oil from this same mower at 50 hours....there was still TONS of additives in the oil....50 hours was a waste.
Because the engine manufacturer recommends it. They built the engine not the oil company and know what's good and what isn't for the engines they make.. Just my opinion...
Old 10-07-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Because the engine manufacturer recommends it. They built the engine not the oil company and know what's good and what isn't for the engines they make.. Just my opinion...
I get that, but facts don't lie. Blackstone is a 3rd party and could care less how often I change my oil. Also, the manufacturer wants to protect itself, so they will recommend something that is sure to work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I
Quote:
I get that, but facts don't lie. Blackstone is a 3rd party and could care less how often I change my oil. Also, the manufacturer wants to protect itself, so they will recommend something that is sure to work.
Posted via Mobile Device
OK I se your point also, but let's say you have a new truck or new mower an something ever does happen, the first thing they will say. Well it could have been prevented with regular scheduled maintenance... I totally agree the oil probably still is good, but try telling Kohler you have a problem and let them find out you're doing 125 to 200 oil and filter changes...
Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
In all honesty, I think that has to be taken with a grain of salt. I have generally adhered to a rigid schedule regarding oil changes since I first started operating my own vehicle at age 16, which was more years ago than I care to admit.

For my first 8 or so years of operating commercial mowers, I changed oil and filter religiously at 50 hours, largely because that is what my dealer recommended. Now, partially because of information posted on this site, but mostly because I got tired of changing oil all the time, I have gone to intervals of 100 hours, and am confident that neither myself or the next owner of my mowers, since I tend to trade fairly frequently, will ever notice the difference. I am certain there is a limit as to how far service intervals should be stretched, and oil analysis is certainly one way to find out how long that is.

I suspect the manufacture of any engine tends to err well on the low side in their recommendations, largely to protect themself. They also probably factor in human nature. If you recommend an oil change at 100 hours, there will be those that don't get around to doing so until 150 or 200, in all likelihood doing little or no harm. If, however, you recommended service out to the limits of the life of the oil, which is, let's just say for the sake of argument is around 200 hours, then those same people would goof around until 300 hours, perhaps causing premature wear on the engine, thereby increasing warranty claims, and trash talking about their product on forums like this one.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ned to change the oil now.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Blackstone does not and can not report the amount of gunk build up inside the engine, and you can't see it but gunk is what accumulates when oil is ran well past the recommended intervals, oil needs to be changed before it runs black, well before that and you can let it go some but again the guys who seem to get big hours out of their engines do what?

However, I will give that 50 hours is overkill in my book, also I would never change the oil but not the filter.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I would like to see how the results come back.

I have seen the internals on our class 8 trucks at work. They are nice and clean with no sludge. We only change the oil every 85000 miles. We use Mobil Delvac 1 . We do a filter change and chassis grease every 15000 miles. A fleet of 33 trucks that runs just over 3.2 million miles a year, and we have never seen a oil related failure.