Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-07-2012, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Stealing customers?

I use to work for a very big company I was the head man incharge of well over 120 accounts. My customers loved me and I loved them. I am no longer working for the company and starting my own business. Is it legal to talk to my old customers into going with my company? I know its wrong but the person who owns the company deserves it.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my opinion it would be wrong, but you could give your customers the heads up that you switched companies or started your own.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreen123 View Post
I use to work for a very big company I was the head man incharge of well over 120 accounts. My customers loved me and I loved them. I am no longer working for the company and starting my own business. Is it legal to talk to my old customers into going with my company? I know its wrong but the person who owns the company deserves it.
If you didn't sign a non-compete agreement then it is legal for you to talk to anyone you want to. Having said that you've already stated that it is wrong to do so and because you feel they deserve it it is okay to do in your mind?????
Old 10-07-2012, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

No not necessarily but my customers do deserve me and I deserve them. Since I have left I have people approaching me telling me I am stupid for not trying to customers from the company cause their yards look like **** now. Is it illegal for me to talk badly or actually tell the truth about the other company like they have illegal immigrants working for them and they are paying half their employees under the table and they are shorting the yard to make more of a profit? I am going to do this one way or the other I just dont want to land into court or jail for anything illegal.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I worked in the auto dealerships customers would follow me and my dad from dealer to dealer.

Hair cutters alaways take their customers with them whever they go.

The question is are they "your" customers or will they be loyal to the businees you worked for?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
No not necessarily but my customers do deserve me and I deserve them. Since I have left I have people approaching me telling me I am stupid for not trying to customers from the company cause their yards look like **** now. Is it illegal for me to talk badly or actually tell the truth about the other company like they have illegal immigrants working for them and they are paying half their employees under the table and they are shorting the yard to make more of a profit? I am going to do this one way or the other I just dont want to land into court or jail for anything illegal.
Why do you need to go their about those other things? Do you have proof of these practices? If your set on talking with your ex employer's customers about coming to your company just focus on the things that matter to those customers: the condition of their property and what you can do to make it better.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its not illegal to talk bad about your xemployer but he may sue you over it, Id just walk lightly and pick up what businees you are able too and forget about him
Old 10-07-2012, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

well said greg! good advice.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
well said greg! good advice.
Thank you.

I dislike the fact that this forum gives such little time to edit a post. Sometimes I type so fast that my fingers and brain aren't on the same thought.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As the man in charge you were part of it all, which makes you just as guilty in the eyes of many. It's as much a legal issue as a moral one. If you feel ok with stealing, go for it. But I'd be really carefull about slandering your former employer. There not only could be legal implications, but it could make you look bad as well in the eyes of customers for being a part of it. Did you report the illegal activities when you were under employment there?