Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

and
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sharkey View Post
I would like to see how the results come back.

I have seen the internals on our class 8 trucks at work. They are nice and clean with no sludge. We only change the oil every 85000 miles. We use Mobil Delvac 1 . We do a filter change and chassis grease every 15000 miles. A fleet of 33 trucks that runs just over 3.2 million miles a year, and we have never seen a oil related failure.
OK good for you guys, but EVER let something happen internally and they find out you don't do preventative maintaince good luck getting a warranty claim to go through.... .
Old 10-07-2012, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Blackstone does not and can not report the amount of gunk build up inside the engine, and you can't see it but gunk is what accumulates when oil is ran well past the recommended intervals, oil needs to be changed before it runs black, well before that and you can let it go some but again the guys who seem to get big hours out of their engines do what?

However, I will give that 50 hours is overkill in my book, also I would never change the oil but not the filter.
The color of the oil is not an indicator of the additives left in the oil.

Am interested in the results as well. You're using Mobile 1?....I'll bet you'll be fine to 150.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver122876 View Post
and

OK good for you guys, but EVER let something happen internally and they find out you don't do preventative maintaince good luck getting a warranty claim to go through.... .
The trucks are Peterbilts and they are totally aware of our maintenance program. We use their software to track it. We would not do anything to void the warranty on a 125000 dollar truck. These trucks hold 12 gallons of engine oil. We run three different engines Cat Cummins and PACCAR.

Change your oil how you wish. We lab the oil on all our trucks. We just found out we had an injector going out due to oil analysis.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think my biggest point is, you guys are quick to drop 10 or 20 k on new equipment so you must trust or believe in the product your buying so why not just follow what the manufacturer says to do to them? Trust me they built them and they know what's best. I,m just saying you must beleive in what our buying so why second guess them when they tell you when to service them?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wonder why my Kohler manual recommends 50 hrs and my Generac manual recommends 100 hrs? Whats so different that the Generac can go double the hours?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
The color of the oil is not an indicator of the additives left in the oil.

Am interested in the results as well. You're using Mobile 1?....I'll bet you'll be fine to 150.
True, color is NOT an indicator. You know what, I can't remember if its M1 or Kohler....I asked Blackstone to try and decipher...I think it was M1, but can't remember. I had some Kohler lying around that I finished up so it could have been that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sharkey View Post
The trucks are Peterbilts and they are totally aware of our maintenance program. We use their software to track it. We would not do anything to void the warranty on a 125000 dollar truck. These trucks hold 12 gallons of engine oil. We run three different engines Cat Cummins and PACCAR.

Change your oil how you wish. We lab the oil on all our trucks. We just found out we had an injector going out due to oil analysis.
OK... you guys must be following what those manufacturers say to do, so why not do the same for the mowers? I just simply said if your not doing as the manufacturer says good luck getting them to help you if something goes wrong under warranty....
Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
True, color is NOT an indicator. You know what, I can't remember if its M1 or Kohler....I asked Blackstone to try and decipher...I think it was M1, but can't remember. I had some Kohler lying around that I finished up so it could have been that.
Posted via Mobile Device
The black is because of thermal or vescocity break down or dirt in the oil.... Air filter....
Old 10-07-2012, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver122876 View Post
The black is because of thermal or vescocity break down or dirt in the oil.... Air filter....
You seem very hell bent on changing every 50 hrs...nobody is telling you not to. There have been enough people on this site that have done an OIL ANALYSIS to prove that a 50 hour oil change is a waste.....again, these are facts, not opinions....
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
You seem very hell bent on changing every 50 hrs...nobody is telling you not to. There have been enough people on this site that have done an OIL ANALYSIS to prove that a 50 hour oil change is a waste.....again, these are facts, not opinions....
Wow like I said in my first post.. I'm just talking... I could care less how you maintain your mower., but you guys think you know more than the manufacturers is just crazy....