Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

CA. requires disclosure of bankruptcy and felony convictions.

This may be being blown out of proportion for the time being. Texas is the state of water cops and informents though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
CA. requires disclosure of bankruptcy and felony convictions.

This may be being blown out of proportion for the time being. Texas is the state of water cops and informents though.
Posted via Mobile Device
I imagine that it is a liability concern for the TCEQ. I.E. A licensed HVAC contractor (that has two prior molestation charges) goes into a house and does some A/C repair and molests a child. I could see the home owner suing the TCEQ for letting a known felon hold a license that allows them to inter a house.

I am no Lawyer, but people have won big settlements for less.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
I imagine that it is a liability concern for the TCEQ. I.E. A licensed HVAC contractor (that has two prior molestation charges) goes into a house and does some A/C repair and molests a child. I could see the home owner suing the TCEQ for letting a known felon hold a license that allows them to inter a house.

I am no Lawyer, but people have won big settlements for less.
I see that for security installers, locksmiths and chem guys but in Tx you can shoot someone for anything serious, where's the worry?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
Any idea on what they are looking for? It won't affect me, other than renewing a little earlier, but I am curious as to what past offenses would constitute refusal to grant an irrigator's license.

Is it just an effort to enforce unpaid traffic citations, outstanding warrants, failure to pay chiild support, etc?
http://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/pub...guidelines.pdf
Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I received a call yesterday from a lady at one of the school districts. One of my buddies used me as a reference for a job he was applying for (got the job later in the day!!). But one question she asked me was whether, to my knowledge, if this person had been convicted of any crimes against kids, or something along that line. I was kind of shocked that they should have found anything like that by doing a criminal background check, instead of asking me. Just seemed odd.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
I received a call yesterday from a lady at one of the school districts. One of my buddies used me as a reference for a job he was applying for (got the job later in the day!!). But one question she asked me was whether, to my knowledge, if this person had been convicted of any crimes against kids, or something along that line. I was kind of shocked that they should have found anything like that by doing a criminal background check, instead of asking me. Just seemed odd.
The whole " do ya hang with didlers" is kinda a weird question.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Your record only shows what you were caught doing. The people around you know more about you than your police record shows.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
Your record only shows what you were caught doing. The people around you know more about you than your police record shows.
They didn't ask if I knew of him doing anything bad like that, just if I knew if he was convicted. But if I knew he had done something like that before, we wouldn't be friends, and he wouldn't be using me as a reference.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Giving Refs is dangerous.

I would use the term to the best of my knowledge
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I had done more (this was pre-internet) background checking, I would have saved myself a lot of money and embarrassment.