Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Recently Planted Scotts seed questions

I recently went through the trouble to thatching my lawn, then throwing compost down, followed by loosing it all up with a hard rake.

I threw down some Scotts Tall Fescue mix and I see two things coming in the leafy sprouts and actual grass blades.

These are popping up pretty much all over my lawn now (both types) and they are evenly coming in it seems.

My question is, is this grass or something I should kill immediately (preferably with fire).

**NOTE** this is a new home and they laid sod directly over what amounts to concrete (extremely hard clay/rock). That is why I threw down a dump truck full of compost. to try and build up the yard.

I used something called Leafgro
Old 10-07-2012, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a nice crop of weeds coming in along with the grass seed. If you have hard packed soil you will likely have an ongoing battle trying to grow grass. You probably would have done better to aerate rather than dethatch. You might even have wanted to just use a soil renovator and start all over, given the sparse coverage of grass you had. At some point you're probably going to have to just put down a decent layer of quality topsoil rather than just keep trying to grow grass under condtions that aren't suitable for it. Where are you located?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Southern Maryland, it's just frustrating because there was nothing there. No weeds, no crabgrass, etc. I threw down some seed and I get this stuff. It's everywhere too, not just in one spot.

In the early spring my yard came in awesome but unfortunately I had to go on a vacation and could not maintain the watering I was doing so it all died .
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is there a time that works better for seeding in which you are not likely to get the weeds??? What kind of weed is it???

It kind of looks like a winterweed we have up here... ours will stay tiny and is not a big deal... after the broadleaf app is done and the grass is growing strong it should be done... I never get too excited about broadleaf weeds coming in, because they will always be the weakest plant in a mature lawn, as soon as you spot spray...

You may want to consider adding a sandy compost topdressing after aerating or till in a good sandy compost and start over if this fails... it doesn't make adobe, so don't be sidetracked from building a quality soil base... how deep is your clay layer now???
Old 10-09-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Your tall fescue seed is coming in nicely. Definitely do not use fire to kill out the weeds it will kill the grass seedlings as well.

As soon as you mow the new grass a couple of times, you can safely apply WeedBGon and knock out those winter annuals.

At the time of spraying for weeds, fertilize the tall fescue again to crowd out future weeds. Tall fescue is one of the best weed preventers when it is maintained properly due to its thick, dense nature.

Where are you located?