The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Exmark or Scag?
Exmark 72 55.81%
Scag 57 44.19%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2012, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never come across a mower that will be 100% clump free in wet grass. at the least they will drop clumps after shutting off the blades or all the bouncing on the trailer from job to job.

my toro grandstand doesn't clump in wet grass until I shut the blades down. none of my exmarks do either.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have no complaints except it doesn't have anywhere near as much vacuum as my JD's

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 09-19-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
What? You never heard of double-cutting?
They double cut with the scag then the exmark came in for a third and final cut.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 09-19-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
They double cut with the scag then the exmark came in for a third and final cut.
Old school scag im assuming. i own 2 advantage deck machines never have a issue. The velocity is a far cry better then them decks as well. I had a bunch of exmarks myself new old they lay some of the best stripes, but scag is a great machine as well.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always post on the exmark vs scag debates because Ive owned them both. I actually went from exmark to scag but not because I thought exmark was a garbage machine.

heres the deal, If I mowed nothing but treated, fertilized perfect grass in my area id have the OLDER exmarks but im no fan of these new ones at all. Not next gen anyways. Reason for this is because they simply lay some of the best stripes and in good grass I don't think scag is any better.

HOWEVER,

In southwest ohio where Im mowing 95% of the lawns that i mow are nothing but weedy, crab grass infested crap holes. With that being said the scag with the new VELOCITY deck is far more superior to the untracut in these types of conditions. Throw a little bit of dew into the equasion and thats when the scag really stands out between the two.......

Like I said, it i had perfect conditions and my mowing schedule allowed me to wait until the dew burned off every morning Id prolly still have red mowers.

So Its a toss up, someone said go demo each and I couldnt agree more. Take each one to your NASTIEST thickest yards, maybe even when its a little wet out in the morning if you plan on mowing early mornings and make up your own mind........
Old 09-21-2012, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Exmark guy but I have had the opportunity to use a turf tiger a wild cat and a cheetah. I was very impressed with the controls on the cheetah super tight super accurate if you were barefoot on the lawn I would feel comfortable mowing around your feet and maintaining half an inch margin. I wouldn't try that with my old lazers. The power was awesome and so was the speed. Now all scag needs to do is throw an ultra cut deck on and they have a winner. There is no comparison scags have and probably always will cut like crap compared to the exmark which is a shame since over all they are a great machine other wise. I tease the scag rep when ever I see him at a show I like him allot but not enough to switch to an inferior cut.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses guys earlier this year i demoed and exmark next gen at the dealer but the thing is we were in a drought so the grass wasn't even tall maybe I was cutting about a inch off and it was dry. The deck was at 3.5 and it laid some great stripes,using that mower felt like driving a Cadillac. But then I realized that when i demoed it it was pretty much the perfect conditions and I won't always have that. I absolutely will go demo both the exmark and scag again and maybe even a dixie since there is a close dealer.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a new Exmark walk behind that doesn't cut nearly as good as the old one I used to have. I also have a scag turf tiger that cuts like a dream and is built like a tank but I don't like the scag walk behinds so I just keep running the exmark on steep hills.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Sponsor

Is Exmark really the best? or was it the best?

We used Exmark for the last 16 years with little problems. You just need to keep up with the maintenance. They will last.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest complaint I hear from the LCOs in my area that run Scags is that they're heavy and prone to rutting the lawn and have to be turned carefully to avoid tearing the turf. Otherwise they really like them. More and more are running Bob-Cats it seems, probably more than there would be otherwise because the Bob-Cat dealer is downright excellent.