Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreen123 View Post
I use to work for a very big company I was the head man incharge of well over 120 accounts. My customers loved me and I loved them. I am no longer working for the company and starting my own business. Is it legal to talk to my old customers into going with my company? I know its wrong but the person who owns the company deserves it.
You are going to land yourself in a courtroom soon if your try to steal his customers. Even if you didn't sign a non-compete form he can still try to sue you. Will he win? probubly not because the courts cannot stop anyone from trying to make a living................but can you afford all the legal fees/lawyer fees that come with being sued?

Is it really worth it? If you are as good as you say your are, or think you are then it should be very easy for you to land new clients and not have to deal with the courts.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Is it illegal for me to talk badly or actually tell the truth about the other company like they have illegal immigrants working for them and they are paying half their employees under the table and they are shorting the yard to make more of a profit?
It seems that you had no problem with this as you apparently worked for the company long enough to become "head man in charge", but now that you no longer work for them, you want to play the moral superiority card? "I know it's wrong, but..." seems to answer your question for you. You either are better than them or you are not.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
No not necessarily but my customers do deserve me and I deserve them. Since I have left I have people approaching me telling me I am stupid for not trying to customers from the company cause their yards look like **** now. Is it illegal for me to talk badly or actually tell the truth about the other company like they have illegal immigrants working for them and they are paying half their employees under the table and they are shorting the yard to make more of a profit? I am going to do this one way or the other I just dont want to land into court or jail for anything illegal.
I would worry about "Six Foot Under" too if you decide to steal.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

business is business man. just dont be malicious and try to damage your previous employer.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Leave the guys customers alone. YOU have no right to them and if in the end they do not like the service being provided, they will find you. Move on and good luck to you.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's one thing to say goodbye to your clients the last week on the job. If they ask why you just say that you are staring your own landscaping business.

The ball is in their court to ask if you would take them on.

Some may say there is no difference in telling the customers you are leaving the XYZ and are are starting your own business. Then you are leaving XYZ, starting your own business and you want their business. This is a fine line. Though as with all lines it is best to not cross a line.

I will end with once you have your business established would you want one of your employees to directly take away as many of your customers as he can?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They are not YOUR customers, they are your former boss's. They hired HIS company to do the work and he put you in charge of making sure the work was done. Why would you DESERVE his customers when HE built his company, HE marketed and sold his services to those customers and then HE paid you to take care of them.

Get over yourself and quit being a little rat. If you think you are that much better than him, start your own company and find your own customers and if his clients are that upset with his service they will start looking for someone else and if YOU have spent YOUR money to market properly they may find YOUR company and hire YOU. Then you can rightfully claim them as yours.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

i so you go after them if your old boses company is doing a piss poor job.
if they know you for your quality they will most likly switch over to you. do not wait till next season as they might be looking for someone else during the winter.

i view it as you would have never worked for him. if the company does a piss poor job next door i will try to get them as a client. if the workers don't speak a dime of English i will try to get them as a client. as well as everyone else on that street.

it is our eventual goal to get as many clients with the best roi on marketing.
we know every client will at some point leave us. try to get as many of those 120 to leave your previous bosses hands as possible. if he does a bad job now they will leave. if its a good job they will stay. worry about growing your business as much as possible, and not his declining business.

as for getting in trouble with the law ect. there is nothing to worry about.
one of my managers right now came from brickman, and another from a larger local company. both managers brought me there entire client list, it was part of there sign on bonus. we got lots of clients that switch when they heard the managers that they dealt with were leaving. and plenty of others from the other managers as well.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me like you know the right thing to do. Put yourself in his place? How will you feel a couple years from now if someone you trusted with your business takes customers?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device