Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hose ballet

Is your best lawn sprayer really good with a hose? Are you? Smooth as silk...graceful as can be. Never get it tangled. Never kink? Never twisted? Never caught on bird baths or rose bushes? Always on the reel smooth and even? Never trip on hose? Pull out 300 feet uphill, and around a corner without breathing hard?

Got video?

Even better, can you throw a coil of hose and jump a birdbath from 50 feet away? (Can you do it left handed, while still spraying with your right?)
Got video to prove it?
Set up a spreader in your parking lot--see which of your guys can jump it with the hose.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can jump a Raised Sprinkler head or landscape light. But no way can I get a 3 ft high Bird Bath at 50 Ft. I have a too many senior movements and sometime try and rewind hose wrapped around a tree.

But I do something not many people do. I spray with a 42 Inch long wand and 2 GPM flat fan tip. When I come to a cement driveway etc I pinch my hose with my left hand to reduce pressure and volume while spraying with my right hand. That way I get no over spray. BTW My tank mix for turf is rather staining because of Minor elements.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Is your best lawn sprayer really good with a hose? Are you? Smooth as silk...graceful as can be. Never get it tangled. Never kink? Never twisted? Never caught on bird baths or rose bushes? Always on the reel smooth and even? Never trip on hose? Pull out 300 feet uphill, and around a corner without breathing hard?

Got video?

Even better, can you throw a coil of hose and jump a birdbath from 50 feet away? (Can you do it left handed, while still spraying with your right?)
Got video to prove it?
Set up a spreader in your parking lot--see which of your guys can jump it with the hose.

I can rip a downspout off the corner of a house in one yank with my hose from 100 ft away without even looking. I'll have to make a video some day to prove it.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Got video?

Got video to prove it?

double post...slow server
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Got video?

Got video to prove it?
Back in day Hose dragging I sprayed w/3ft hand boom and I had another guy doing the dragging He could bounce that hose over lots of stuff Thank god thats in the pass Riding for me now
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've never pulled a hose, I started with a ride-on maybe 3 or so years ago. I can't imagine using a hose on some of my lawns. They average 20,000 plus sf. I would love to go with some of you and see how it's done though.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I've never pulled a hose, I started with a ride-on maybe 3 or so years ago. I can't imagine using a hose on some of my lawns. They average 20,000 plus sf. I would love to go with some of you and see how it's done though.
back 80s-90s did alot 20k+ size yards dragging ahose
I ran a 3oo gal FMC Sprayer with 400ft of hose glad had a button to reel the hose up
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
What works for me isn't an Automatic for you. Each market is different. My one time 4 K turf yards are becoming 2 K turf yards with all kinds of PAVER walk ways and cut up Decks becoming popular. Trying to spread any granular would be a Nighmare keeping the Paver clean. But Liquid applys are perfects.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A 5,000 or 10,000 lawn is just as hard to deal with when there are all manner of obstacles. Can't get a ride on down stairs or through a 48" pathway that is not level or smooth. A hose is just as much of a PITA. Watch that hose get wrapped around beds and the 1001 trees all over the lawn. Never mind how sometimes it is a 100-150 ft pull from where the truck can be parked til you reach grass. Thank goodness for engine drive backpacks. Mowing guys do not have it any easier. I have seen them two man carry a reel mower to a lawn.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

I'm 40 minutes north of Little Rock. I charge $10/hr for training at sites designated by me. I will buy your lunch on the first day. After that, you're on your own.

I would say half of my client base is 6-18K sq ft. A quarter is 20-35K. an eighth is 35-90K and an eighth is less than 6K.

The hose/gun comes in handy for quite a few but the ride is the way to go for some of the larger clients. I have used the wand/lesco gun/t-jet nozzle combination dragging a hose to spray grassy weeds in the past. I can't imagine doing some entire lawns that I have with a T-jet nozzle even with 120 degree spray angle or a handheld boom for that matter. I can see where that setup or a gas powered backpack could be the best tool for the operation depending on site conditions though.