Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-17-2012, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting a lawn care business

hello, I am not going to start another what should i do to get started post because i have read a million of them my question is simply this when lawn care businesses are a dime a dozen around here during spring time what can i do to help make my business stand out. im located in northern Alabama. thank you all very much in advance for you helping me with this
Old 09-19-2012, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are starting solo, which most of us did, start with personal appearance. I know this sounds elementary but how many times do you drive down the road and see two guys working at a property with cut off sleeve t-shirts in sneakers smoking? My Dad did this for thirty years with no signs on the truck and no company uniforms and he calls me lucky cause I am so much more successful than he was. 12 printed shirts will run bout $120 depending, truck magnets will run bout the same. There are tons more right answers but I wish I'd not waited six years to go to uniforms.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 09-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.2bamaboyRTR View Post
hello, I am not going to start another what should i do to get started post because i have read a million of them my question is simply this when lawn care businesses are a dime a dozen around here during spring time what can i do to help make my business stand out. im located in northern Alabama. thank you all very much in advance for you helping me with this
Contact your local chapter of SCORE. Schedule an appointment and explain to the councilors what your wanting to accomplish and your specific goals. You will be give a home work assignment to complete and your work will be reviewed for accuracy and content. See if you can apply for a mentoring program if available. You will get as much out of your efforts as you put into
To achieve your goals. Having nice uniforms is a very small part of the bigger picture. If your willing SCORE can and will help you help yourself.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-22-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

123hotdog, cannot be more true. Be and look more professional then the sleeves smoking on the job LCO. Do yourself a favor tonight when you sit down, ask yourself and be honest with yourself. If I where paying for professional lawn care service what would i want to see in my front yard? Do you want to see Joe Dirt in your front yard or do you want to see a uniformed professional. Have a nice polo embroidered probably cost about $20-$30 and some t-shirts made around $150. Wear your embroidered shirt literally go door to door with flyers to get a few accounts. Find a nice newer middle class sub division in the beginning. They will pay you on time and refer you to people in high end neighborhoods. High end neighborhoods can be hard to get into because the guys in them have been around a while and have all the equipment under the sun. Another thing try and find out what the going rate of reputable LCO's are charging in the area. If you can find that out back your bids off about 1 1/2% that should get in the door. Don't try and be a low baller it just causes you problems in the long run, because the big guys can afford to offer a free season with a 3 year contract and they will just get rid of low ballers.

Remember none of us started out big, we/I've just made the mistakes i hope other don't have to. don't waste a lot of time with internet advertising facebook maybe a little web site. get out there look good, be good and do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. i have 2 mottos i use with my employees "Don't talk about it, be about it" and "Do work". i have a residential crew that i personally work with, and a commercial crew that my first employee runs. think big and know your limits good luck
Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Sponsor

Starting a lawn care business

Develop a website and use the acculawn system to give instant online quotes. You can promote your site by passing out flyers or through local advertisements. Once the homeowner goes to you website they can get a quote for all of the services that you provide with just a click of the mouse. It save you time and money and really impresses the customer. Go to AcculawnSystems.com to learn more. Also, go to AccuLawncare.com to see what the customer will see.