Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a friend who swears by stihl and loves the 4 mix stuff and told me his isnt as bad and he can use his at any throttle setting and edge fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know their blowers are great. I see every lco with them. I see a ton of lcos with stihl 4 mix trimmers as well which is weird because if the on/off thing is a big issue then itll be hard to use on residential propertys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of LCO's use them because they have power, and because they buy in bulk, so they get blowers, trimmers etc all at once and at a discount. Too, Stihl dealers are much thicker in some areas than in others, so you tend to see more guys using Stihl equipment in those areas. I'm in one of them where I am.

I like my 90, but it is as I said.

All I can tell you is go try one before you buy one, and find out for yourself.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The on off thing is BS. The 4 mix has a much wider power band than a 2 cycle. I rarely use my fs90r at full throttle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
The on off thing is BS. The 4 mix has a much wider power band than a 2 cycle. I rarely use my fs90r at full throttle.
Posted via Mobile Device
No it isn't bro. Far, far too many of us here have experienced the same thing for it to be "BS". I know I'm certainly not full of it, nor am I a Stihl basher. Exactly half of my handhelds are Stihl, and that's quite a few different pieces of equipment all in. Mine is very, very hard to feather up and down the range smoothly. I can squeeze very carefully on the trigger and start gaining power, then all of a sudden it jumps up to near, or at the top. That's just not the way they should work, especially when you consider how smoothly their blower triggers work. It has nothing to do with the 4 mix engine. It is just their stupid throttle linkage that needs to be re-designed.

The 4 mix's certainly have much more torque, and also a better torque curve than the 2 strokes, true enough there.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
No it isn't bro. Far, far too many of us here have experienced the same thing for it to be "BS". I know I'm certainly not full of it, nor am I a Stihl basher. Exactly half of my handhelds are Stihl, and that's quite a few different pieces of equipment all in. Mine is very, very hard to feather up and down the range smoothly. I can squeeze very carefully on the trigger and start gaining power, then all of a sudden it jumps up to near, or at the top. That's just not the way they should work, especially when you consider how smoothly their blower triggers work. It has nothing to do with the 4 mix engine. It is just their stupid throttle linkage that needs to be re-designed.

The 4 mix's certainly have much more torque, and also a better torque curve than the 2 strokes, true enough there.
I like to think of them like a diesel engine where as the true two strokes are gas engines. Love the BR600M I had it before the trimmers.
Trac vac loaders and bagger
Billygoat 1302sp blower
Stihl handhelds/322l & 580BTs husky
2003 GMC C4500 14ft dump
1998 Chevy 1500 Z71 with 8ft EZ dumper
2003 GMC W3500 18ft box cabover
6.5x12 landscape trailer
Jrco leaf plow
Part time for now and solo for now.
Third year!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post

Sorry didnt mean to call anyone a lair. But that is not how mine operate. Ill have to post a video.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2012, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Sorry didnt mean to call anyone a lair. But that is not how mine operate. Ill have to post a video.
Posted via Mobile Device
No problem.

I wish mine was smooth throughout the range. That is my only gripe with it. I have been noticing though that it seems smoother with the edger attachment. It still wants to jump up once I get up off idle a bit, but not as bad as with the trimmer attachment. Possibly the added weight of the edger blade affects it?

I really like the sound of the exhaust. Just sounds serious.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im starting to think I wont like it with all this talk about no happy medium. I love that Im able to feather the throttle on my TB. Could you possibly adjust the carb?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

After using stihl trimmers, its hard for me to use anything else... they have so much torque(sp), and cut so clean compared to others. I have used husqvarna, echo, robin, redmax, and to me they sre all nearly the same model for model.
My dealer sells echo, but will order any piece of stihl equipment i need.
That is just my experience here in ga cutting mostly Bermuda.
Posted via Mobile Device