Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your rate will depend on your equipment, your experience/efficiency and your area. My rates start at $45/hr and go up from there to $75 depending on the type of work it is and what equipment it requires.

Someone with a push mower can't expect to be making the same rate as someone with a 60 inch zero turn mower, just as someone with a rake and tarp can't expect to make the same as someone with a full leaf setup. Ultimately it's what you can get.

You're hourly pay rates for employees are close to where I am, but good luck finding someone who will actually work for $10/hr. The bottom is around $12/hr for laborers. Minimum wage is $8.25/hr where I am.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK LC&L View Post
Ok I guess I should have stated that a little better. It is per man hour. So if a yard takes one hour to mow with me and another employee that would be $60. And the employee that I have with me when I mow is just a young unexperienced guy that I give $10/hour. So what I am saying is that I make $20 off of him. And I understand what the overhead is. Also I am a smaller company and am looking to grow the number of accounts I have so I am trying to be on the lower side to beat competition until I have the amount I need. Thank you to everyone who has contributed their thoughts to the thread so far.
$30 per man hour. A WB or ZT could cost $7-$11 an hr. Labor $13 an hr. Truck, insurance,overhead, IMO you lost money.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Could you guys ship some of that $10 per hour help up here. Whether they have experience or not they all want 12 or more per hour. One guy we interviewed wanted $20 and the only experience he had was weeding gardens at a resort!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

People won't even get out of bed here for ten and I'm in Florida.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Sponsor

Pricing and Rates

We were paying out guys to start at $9.50 per hour and the good ones that had been around a while got $14.00 per hour. Experience is everything out there if you want to make money.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I start at 8 and go to 20 per hour.
My trucks start at $75.00 per hour. I have another at $95 and one another at $125.00 with a 4 hr minimum.
All the trucks do different things. Some cost more to operate.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK LC&L View Post
I am just curious to see what people are getting these days in this economy. I was told that in mowing, if a yard takes an hour then charged $30. And for mulching, $100/yard which includes mulch, delivery, edging, spreading, and any minor weeding. Also for employees, $10/hour for a person with little to no experience and about $15/hour for someone experienced in the field. Any thoughts or opinions? I am in Pennsylvania by the way, I know that different areas get different rates.
your not too far off except, i can't get anyone in my area to work for much less then 15/hr 10 and hr would be a godsend. 100/yard for mulch depending on the job, sometimes its only 75 or 80 a yard, + tax. and it includes everything you listed. and with me an another guy doing my lawns they are all priced so i gross 2 dollars a minute or better. so a 25 minute lawn would be at least 50 for me probably closer to 65 even. most of my 40 dollar lawns only take 15 mins from start to finish, upgrading to the 61" cheetah has really increased my productivity a lot and now with leaves falling the bagger i just spent 2900 on is really speeding things up. 15 dollars extra per lawn, most i don't even half to haul away the debris. i'm in ct, and i get 95% of the lawns i look at, fall clean ups i haven't quite figured out what the magical number is for that, but i am on my way to that one now that i have a bagger, and can move leaves that much quicker. snow plowing I have residential driveways in the bag, I get about 99% of the driveways i look at and i average 140 per hour by myself in a small storm up to 6" so to make 140 per hour plowing is a cheap rate or I make one hell of first impression, idk but i get about 3 new driveways a week starting last week until the first snow.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

$140 and hour snow plowing? I make about $750/hr plowing! on one private lane that takes 6 minutes and pays $75, otherwise it's about $140 travel time included, lol
Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
$140 and hour snow plowing? I make about $750/hr plowing! on one private lane that takes 6 minutes and pays $75, otherwise it's about $140 travel time included, lol
maybe i should rephrase that, i make 140hr including travel time snow plowing, so lets say i do one driveway for 50 that takes 10 mins to plow the driveway in full, and get out and shovel in front of the garage doors, and shovel the walkway and clean off the front steps. then i drive down the road and do another one for 50 also only 10 mins of work maybe even 7 if i really hustle, then i drive down the road again and do another small driveway for 40, that's what i was talking about, not 1hr of straight plowing about 5-10 mins of plowing for 50 dollars. no sander or fancy equipment
Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had a 6 wheel plow truck making $70 PH. That was plow wing and 5 yd sander. Those were state rates, then I sold some plow gear to a guy from Bellerica MA. He said that was the rate for a pickup!!!! I wish I could get the rates you guys get, $140 PH per machine would be great, then maybe I wouldn't dread getting up at 1 AM to plow.