Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Valley Lawn Service View Post
My first year I asked some people if they were interested in me mowing there yard. They said they had somebody but wanted a quote. I have them one and told them to call if it didn't work with other guy. Got the account later in season cause of things he didn't mow. Wen ever I get an account I do wat has been being done plus a little extra if possible.
The lady said she wasnt impressed with their trimming around some of the edges, she said it was too short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I try to be respectful of other legit lcos. Business is business though and if it is was a service issue I would take the account. On the hand you will be mowing next to these guys for years to come.

I had a similar situation last year where I turned away a good customer. I have 8 yards on this one particular street. A lady in between 2 of the houses I do wanted me to mow her yard. I know the guy who mows her yard currently. She said it made sense for me to mow since I was already mowing all of her neighbors. She said there were no service issues at all. I declined the yard, and she understood. I have had these 8 yards for years and this guy has been mowing this yard for awhile also. He has never once has approached any of my 8 customers on that street. The guy even has offered me some business in the past on some smaller yards he did not want. I did not take him up on the offer but it was still a nice gesture. As I get older I realize it is easier to get along with people than not. Although I am a solo operator with limited slots to fill also. If I was trying to now the world I would of taken it. Every situation is unique.
Posted via Mobile Device
Im the same way, I would've never gone to her door to try to sell her my services. Because if I wasnt respectful, I probably would've done that years ago. It does suck that i will be mowing next to these guys, but oh well. I guess i'll maybe move her to a different day to try and avoid confrontation. I'd like to be able to get along with these guys, but ya just never know how they'll take it. Im sure I'll run into them eventually.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

customer for next year

So what I'm understanding is that since I didn't approach her there should be no hard feelings?
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. She wanted a change. No big deal. You didn't go searching her out. If the other company has a problem with it, then they have bigger problems than just that.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys for reassuring me that i wasn't in the wrong. I'm new to this industry and always turn to this site for any and all decision making i have to do i really appreciate it!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree also. You can't be turning down work just because she has someone else now, as long as she came to you. I'm good friends with a couple of other LCOs in my area and if it was one of them servicing an account I would feel uncomfortable about it, but not just some LCO I see around but don't really know.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Member

You gave bid which was right, because of the business you offer. She accepted great. Now beyond "wanting someone local" try and find out what wasn't being done,what was missed, overlooked etc. Then the other three you (if you want to keep them) got make sure they don't have any complaints that you don't know about. Oh the other company(s) want give a rats a$$ about stepping on your toes.
Big Tex 60SP 6.5x16 trailer
John Deere ZTRs 925aEFI 60" 920a 60" 910a 54" (2)
John Deere 7H17/WG32A
Honda HRC216HXA 21" (2)
Little Wonder Leaf Loader and Optimax 570V
Echo/Stihl handheld service equipment
Husquvarna 445/395XP
Western Pro Plus 8.5/ SnowEx SP-1075
Toro 826 OE Snow Thrower
American Family Ins
"making the st.louis area beautiful one lawn at a time"
Old 10-12-2012, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel-nor View Post
You gave bid which was right, because of the business you offer. She accepted great. Now beyond "wanting someone local" try and find out what wasn't being done,what was missed, overlooked etc. Then the other three you (if you want to keep them) got make sure they don't have any complaints that you don't know about. Oh the other company(s) want give a rats a$$ about stepping on your toes.
hey i noticed you have a 2008 silverado, well i have an 08 as well and have been trying to figure out why theres a clunk coming from the front end when i take off, reverse and steer at the same time, take off too hard etc. not sure what it is. just wondering if you've heard that noise too. sometimes its loud, and other times you can barely hear it.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THIESSENS TLC View Post
hey i noticed you have a 2008 silverado, well i have an 08 as well and have been trying to figure out why theres a clunk coming from the front end when i take off, reverse and steer at the same time, take off too hard etc. not sure what it is. just wondering if you've heard that noise too. sometimes its loud, and other times you can barely hear it.
Check driveshaft u joints.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I try to be respectful of other legit lcos. Business is business though and if it is was a service issue I would take the account. On the hand you will be mowing next to these guys for years to come.

I had a similar situation last year where I turned away a good customer. I have 8 yards on this one particular street. A lady in between 2 of the houses I do wanted me to mow her yard. I know the guy who mows her yard currently. She said it made sense for me to mow since I was already mowing all of her neighbors. She said there were no service issues at all. I declined the yard, and she understood. I have had these 8 yards for years and this guy has been mowing this yard for awhile also. He has never once has approached any of my 8 customers on that street. The guy even has offered me some business in the past on some smaller yards he did not want. I did not take him up on the offer but it was still a nice gesture. As I get older I realize it is easier to get along with people than not. Although I am a solo operator with limited slots to fill also. If I was trying to now the world I would of taken it. Every situation is unique.
Posted via Mobile Device
Could you have done a trade? Give him one of your accounts next to one of his if you had one. A win-win. Is this kind of thing ever done?
Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Check driveshaft u joints.
well, i had the u-joints replaced about a year ago because thats what i thought it was...i even got the good ones i can grease with a grease gun. but its still making the noise. i heard it might be something to do with the steering yoke or something like that needing greased....