Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-07-2012, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

cool, thanks for the tips. ill try them out.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had Carpel tunnel syndrome surgery about 10 years ago. That pain was constant (worse while trying to sleep) and started at my wrist and ran up my forearm to my elbow. Don't know if that is what you have, just a thought. Recovery from surgery takes a couple months so if that is what you have you'll want to take care of it in the off season.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Member

It sounds like tennis elbow.

I'm old so here's what I do to stay in shape. Yearly physical, eat right, exercise, take glucosamine, yoga stretches, and take Aleve when all of the above fails.

I'm reluctant to pop pills too, and really reluctant to take the homeopathic crap. But the glucosamine works and it actually enhances the effect of naproxin (Aleve). So I'm not just feeling better I'm getting better.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Sponsor

Your symptoms sound like the beginning of injuries due to RMI and or HAVS. Don't kid yourself about taking ibuprofen, ESP before bed time. The suggestions about holding your equipment differently and handle adjustment are practical. My product has been developed to lift and transfer the weight of implement to the backpack frame work. Maintaing your center of gravity in conjunction with using various types of equipment is key to reducing the symptoms of RMI and HRVS. www.easyliftharness.com
easy-lift guy
Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have "tennis elbow", an injury from weeks ago that is hard to heal and easily re-injured. You can wear a special wrist brace and an forearm band to reduce pain and prevent re injury. Eventually you want to left weights especially during the off season to strengthen the wrist and forearm. The injury probably originates from something that bent the wrist back too far. Try adjusting the handles to avoid that. Also, try to wrap tape around the handles to make them 2 inches in diameter instead of one inch. Talk to your doctor.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Sore arm

What you've got is inflammation. Sometimes referred to as tennis elbow.

Last year mine started in my elbow, went up to my shoulder and then down into my forearm. So the entire right arm/shoulder was really bad. So bad it felt like the bone had been fractured.

Ibuprofen fights inflammation so that's the first thing to take. The long term answer is a daily dose of Glucosamine Chondroitin and Fish Oil. Don't laugh. I got on this stuff in November of last year and have gotten through six months of heavy mowing/trimming with no serious problems. Not related to tennis elbow, but I also take a good daily vitamin and a garlic tablet.

Depending on you condition it should take from two to four weeks for the GC and fish oil to eliminate the pain.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In the heat of the season, if you can afford it next season, hire a part time worker.

The easy lift may also help, sounds like a great product.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glucosamine and condroitin are good to take, but HA Plus is a better product that works faster. It's Hylauronic Acid, which helps rebuild cartilage in between joints thus eliminating pain and inflammation.

HA Plus and better practices when holding a trimmer should help you out a lot. Strengthening your joints by doing push ups and pull ups will help greatly also.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 10-07-2012, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks, ill look into these things.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you have a bent shaft trimmer that can be the problem i would switch to a straight shaft trimmer if you dont have one already but that may help alot