Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit28 View Post
maybe I'm totally wrong ,
but I thought dew is {sticky} guttational water.

So, not only aerifieng the soil, opening it up will cause the soil to dry without watering.
The dew might be going to stay on top of the turf as well.

At this point, me personally, I'd be giving the turf light frequent watering to promote seed germination.

I've never depended on mother nature...she can be to cantankerous
Dew occurs when the atmospheric temps drop low enough that the humidity condenses out of the air... that tempurature is called the "dew point"... guttation is water that actually exudes from the plant and the humidity is so high in the cool morning that the water doesn't evatorate as it normally might...

I don't worry too much about the aeration holes drying out and killing the grass this time of year in CentroWisco, but I can't speak to TN...

I seeded many areas that will sit until the time occurs naturally for it to germinate and grow, as we have areas where artificial irrigation is not feasible... it is generally fine and when it is not, I supplement with dormant seeding...
Old 09-11-2012, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Dew occurs when the atmospheric temps drop low enough that the humidity condenses out of the air... that tempurature is called the "dew point"... guttation is water that actually exudes from the plant and the humidity is so high in the cool morning that the water doesn't evatorate as it normally might...

I don't worry too much about the aeration holes drying out and killing the grass this time of year in CentroWisco, but I can't speak to TN...

I seeded many areas that will sit until the time occurs naturally for it to germinate and grow, as we have areas where artificial irrigation is not feasible... it is generally fine and when it is not, I supplement with dormant seeding...
Exactly, I'm not worried as much about the seed I just spread; my lawn is thick enough to do the job when mother nature says its time.

Now I have some area's I need to help it along but those I haven't got to yet.

Smallaxe I'll get a pic of the plus and thach in a little while, to my eye's it don't look bad just a thin layer on top of the plug but again I don't know what I'm looking for there.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 09-11-2012, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here yu go smallaxe
Like I said, I don't know what I'm looking for but if its what I think, the amount of dead grass on top before you get to soil its about 1/8"

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're right,,, I can't see any real thatch either... then again I only see one root as well in the one plug... I'm assuming they are in there and when the plugs break apart you see how much you have in roots...
Looks like heavy soil and of one consistant color... no back layer of decomp near the top... Do you mulch mow or bag???

Good pictures and nice lawn...
Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
You're right,,, I can't see any real thatch either... then again I only see one root as well in the one plug... I'm assuming they are in there and when the plugs break apart you see how much you have in roots...
Looks like heavy soil and of one consistant color... no back layer of decomp near the top... Do you mulch mow or bag???

Good pictures and nice lawn...
Thanks
I watered the seed in good last night and with the great mid 80's weather were getting this should be up in a week or two.

Actually, I took the plugs from an area I landscaped and had to add 6" of topsoil there so thats why soil is one consistant color, but did compost a few years back and I mulch the clippings.

I think your seeing what I can't find either though, no real thatch?

Then God created Women
Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Funny
I get my yard aerated and neighbor up the street who uses chemlawn shows up today with a powerseeder

Chemlawn uses the cheapest seed I've ever seen

Then God created Women
Old 10-08-2012, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looking absolutely amazing guys. New seed is coming in nice with the aerating now.
Can't wait to see how thick it comes back in the spring

Think I am going to go back to a slow release fert in the spring though. Staying away from the N might have helped a little to control fungus but without the fungicide treatments I would still have gotten the brown patch.

Then God created Women
Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

whats the name of the fescue you use
Old 10-09-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superintendent View Post
whats the name of the fescue you use
I'm using the inferno for the last two seasons but I tested another brand in a small area in the back last fall made up of this AST1001, 1002 and 1003 by allied seed.

http://www.alliedseed.com/products/T...ue/ast7001.php

Did real well with disease and drought. I never treated it nor watered it this summer and liked the results.

I still used the inferno this year but testing the allied seed in other places in my main front yard to see how well it does next season like on the bank that dries out and constantly needs water and along the edges of the driveway that dies due to the heat of the pavement.

Then God created Women
Old 10-09-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Your lawn looks like it recovered well from the summer heat/drought. My opinion is fescue may be the best at recovery. Seems like it always come back in the fall.