Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

With regards the mower deck, it was still bouncing up and down with the springs adjustment taken all the way up.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Ok so you need to make the deck springs shorter. Compress them with a couple of ratchet straps like I said in another post. That way you'll know if its the springs or not.
Hope your dealer can sort a couple of forks, and air filled tires set at 10psi or so for you.
It seems as though the "rough mower ride" is causing the deck to bounce dont you think? I feel the right way to do it would be to fix the rough mower, then the deck may not bounce...

After getting on another machine similar in weight and length and feeling its ride completely different and way more user friendly, this reassured me there is something out of place with the ride on my hustler.

The other thing to mention here is the deck didnt bounce on that other machine once! even though I bounced out of the seat.

I dont see why the springs on my machine being the exact same as the springs on your machine, should be the cause of the deck bouncing around. If you ask me its just evidence that the machine is running rougher than yours is. At this point im hoping the flex forks have an issue, they may be stiffer than they should be and causing the washboard effect over every bump i go on.

Dunno, but sick of analysing the mower i cant tell ya that! didnt expect any of this when I handed the dealer all that money.

Last edited by greenology; 10-09-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
With regards the mower deck, it was still bouncing up and down with the springs adjustment taken all the way up.
Yeah, half inch wasnt much. Need a couple inches.
I wrote this last night....
Quote:
Instead of cutting the spring, get some small straps like cheap ratchet straps, feed it through the spring at one (near the) end, feed it down the length of the spring and back out near the other end, lower the deck as far as possible, an inch or more lower than your usual cut height for example. That will compress the spring. Pull the straps as tight as possible and tie ends together (or just use the hooks. could compress the springs even more with the ratchet). Raise deck to normal height and the springs shouldnt touch the stops. The straps should hold the springs compressed. No need for cutting shorter or messing with deck level etc. Only cost a few $ to try anyway!
Its thought that the older flex forks are softer than the new. If thats the case then maybe you have the older forks. Ask your dealer to try a different set of those as well.
In fact, why dont you get him to bring a demo machine out and try the machines side by side, try the demo. Least that way you'll know if its just your machine or not. Swap forks around while your at it.

Other than that, maybe this machine just isnt for you.
I have to say, I mow some much much rougher properties than in your vids. The one thing I love about the machine is the ride, drive system etc. I HATE the discharge and the fuel tanks but thats about it.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ask the rep what he thinks... http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31
Old 10-09-2012, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to say, I mow some much much rougher properties than in your vids. The one thing I love about the machine is the ride, drive system etc. I HATE the discharge and the fuel tanks but thats about it.[/QUOTE]

How slow would you be going over the real rough stuff, like as slow as 5 kph or even less? and do you get any jerking of your upper body front to back that you can think off? the same jerking you would be feeling if you jerked the levers on and off quickly, do you get this feeling at some point or another on any or all of your lawns.

I honestly hope it is something I can fix, I hate that I have to be bad naming what seems such an excellent machine, hense why I bought it.

I dont hold any hope in asking reps or anyone to do with hustler, they all tell me they have never heard of ANYTHING like it, all I know is what I keep experiencing every day I use it. This NSW rep is meeting with me next monday to go over that lawn in the video. See if he can teach me something I am doing wrong. But I must say, I doubt he would have done the amount of hours cutting lawns on zero turns as I have, so I just dont understand how it can be something im doing wrong, but will be happily wrong about that if he can show me something different that gets rid of this jerking.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yeah, half inch wasnt much. Need a couple inches.
I wrote this last night....

Its thought that the older flex forks are softer than the new. If thats the case then maybe you have the older forks. Ask your dealer to try a different set of those as well.
In fact, why dont you get him to bring a demo machine out and try the machines side by side, try the demo. Least that way you'll know if its just your machine or not. Swap forks around while your at it.

I have to say, I mow some much much rougher properties than in your vids. The one thing I love about the machine is the ride, drive system etc. I HATE the discharge and the fuel tanks but thats about it.
The early flex forks (xr7) are physically smaller in shaft area that goes through the frame. Unless they had to different makes in ride softness in the vx4 style I doubt that this would be the case. Of course you can always have a bad one or two in a bunch as well.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Mate the ruts on this lawn are NOT the only place I get this issue. I get the same problem on EVERY single one of my lawns!! I wish I never showed the dam video of the ruts, I was just trying to show it in its most dramatic state. But if you would just take my dam word for it, the machine does it everywhere there is any kind of bump whatsoever, okay? I guess your the kind of guy that thinks most people out there are stupid and therefor you give no one the benefit of the doubt.

I never said I could run the dixon at 13 MPH I said half the speed of the hustler is the full speed of my dixon, therefor the speed is 7MPH flat out on dixon and yes I assure you I can dam well go full speed over those ruts in my dixon!!!!! I dont make things up!! I do get a very rough ride with the dixon, but the rough ride has no jerking in it, therefor i get no headaches or ill feelings after hours of mowing on the dioxon.

its not the ground or the ruts or the washboard effect...

Your telling me that since I went from a for eg 2.576897 meter long wheel base as opposed to a 3.576543 meter wheel base, therefor I should expect to be jerked around and expect a rough ride and just put up with it?

As far as speed goes. As I keep saying on here, I get the same rough ride at all speeds!!!
That was my mistake for not converting the 13 KPH to what would actually be 8.08 MPH, just not something we normally see in this country, but a conversion that does make an extreme difference. I was actually thinking in terms of 13 mph and not 8 mph. I honestly have no idea how fast you are mowing with the Super Z, but I would guess in the 9 mph (14.48 kph) range. Since realizing you are attempting to mow at a speed you normally mow this property, and are seeing a problem you've never seen before, there could possibly be a hydraulic problem adding to the bucking from the ruts.

Have you put this mower on a smooth property to see exactly how it feels and reacts? The hydraulic system on a Hustler Super Z is the smoothest in the industry, and I've operated many. It should be a joy for you to run this machine, and not a chore. I would like to know your thoughts on how the hydraulics feel, and how the mower operates on a smooth property. Your hydraulics on the mower should feel as smooth as a finely oiled machine on both sides, but not only should they feel smooth, they should also feel perfectly equal in each command you physically give.

Keep working with us, we will eventually get to the bottom of your problem, I promise, and again, I'm sorry for coming off in the wrong direction due to not converting the speed.

Please come back as soon as you have results from checking the mower thoroughly on a smooth property, I've very interested in how the hydraulics feel. I wish I could operate your mower for five minutes, I could tell immediately if there is something causing what you are seeing.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

MT, these are my first FF's so really didnt know about size/rubber changes. I know a lot of people had issues with the XR7 ones though and is why I didnt get them.

Green... If you look at the my vid again in post 26, thats about as rough as it gets, the vid doesn't give it justice believe me. 1.5hrs or so and it really starts to hurt, I make it last job of the day. Always makes me want to take a pizz. re needing the kidney belt.
I dont think Im doing more than 5 or 6mph for the most part, a fast walk.
At or near the start of the vid theres a small bare area that gives an idea of the ant nests. Its like that all over the place, you just cant see them under the grass. Some of those nests are 4 or 5" high. There kind of different to your problems though. Ruts make both front wheels hit at the same time where as these nests every wheel is doing something different.

Ive watched your vids again and even though the prop your doing leaning forward may be smoother, there are definitely some dips or rough spots in it. Your head/body is staying fairly still until you hit a rough spot and then you push/pull/jerk the sticks. watch around the 5 sec,14 sec, 24sec, 27sec in the leaning forward vid you can see your hands move.

In the other vid of you and ya miss's, its the sitting back in the chair thats flinging you forward and again, jerking the sticks. Like Ive said, you have to sit forward, let the machine rock underneath you. Watch these guys heads/upper body. Especially the second guy. It barely moves. http://youtu.be/LdeKwafcL50 or better yet... http://youtu.be/_fWt0tlfBMg
Basically, thats what you need to achieve.
You shouldnt need to lean fully forward all the time, just over the areas you know are rough. Granted, the flex forks may be making it worse for you but Id rather have them, slow down on the bad props than get beat to death on every lawn. But thats me!

The only jerking I get is going up steep rough slopes but even then its rare now. I have the drive pretty much down pat, I have a 150hrs on this SZ. It still happens, just not often. I have to drive up a fairly steep, rough track just to load up the mower so is something I learnt pretty quickly. The only other time it happens is if I forget about a bad rut or hole. Not often as I know my properties pretty well.

I just watch a few vids I havent published and while I was going pretty slow (very long grass) I noticed when I did get rocked, there was no jerking of the sticks and Im able to nullify the body rock with my legs. I hold the sticks very low at the first bend. Thats less leverage on the sticks. Higher up is more responsive if that makes sense or need a lighter touch the higher up the sticks you hold them.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

I just watch a few vids I havent published and while I was going pretty slow (very long grass) I noticed when I did get rocked, there was no jerking of the sticks and Im able to nullify the body rock with my legs. I hold the sticks very low at the first bend. Thats less leverage on the sticks. Higher up is more responsive if that makes sense or need a lighter touch the higher up the sticks you hold them.
You gonna post those vids on your channel mick?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
You gonna post those vids on your channel mick?
Damit, I knew I shouldnt of written that! See what I can do!
Closed Thread