Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

its is per inch. & its that we dont have enough money coming in during the fall to fund our snow start up.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What do you have for startup costs other than ice melt?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Start up costs would be salt, icemelt, equipment maintenance can be costly, and payroll. The biggest issue I see is that it's per inch. Your not getting paid till you work, then your waiting for the money to come in. You have to have money in the bank to do this. You could pay out $10,000 easy before you see a dime back. Maybe you should expand your landscape maintenance and fall lawn renovations. Aerating lawns can turn a good profit and you can do this yourself to save money. Set a target number that you need for your winter start up money and bank as much as you can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It took me a couple seasons but Ive learned these big accounts just aren't worth it!

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 10-08-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you buy your snow stuff in july at a discount to help offset the initial cost? Ideally can you save money and put it in the bank? If you had 50k in reserves it would take away some of the stress. If you had a backup truck, it might keep you from working till 2am and you could fix the truck when you have downtime and need something to do.

I dont do snow, but i do big jobs. Backup equipment and trucks and money in the bank make for a stress free life. Now if i could just do something for my alllergies!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How do you have maintenance and payroll when the wheels aren't turning and your guys aren't plowing? It also depends on the contract terms, payment after services, 30 day, 90 day? Too many unknowns to make a call whether the contract is worth it or not.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

There is a reason you are the boss and not working for one. Do what makes sense and makes you happy.
Cypress Lawn Service
Richmond Lawn Service
Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

We have to service all the trucks, get all the plows on the trucks (i use same trucks during the landscape season then put plows on them for winter) when things break it needs to be fixed. I put out $$ for metal stakes to stake all properties, ice melt, parts for trucks & plows. I have to transport equipment and supplies to the location. When we are working during a storm Im filling up machines & trucks with gas ($$$) The customer paying is not a problem at all. They pay very quickly, its the debt I occur to start up for the season. While im getting ready for the snow I am paying 3 guys weekly payroll as they are still cutting grass, and doing landscaping. I think its just a problem that Im in a hole after a storm so when I do get paid it goes quickly to credit cards, bills, payroll (who worked the storm) any parts that I need etc.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass123 View Post
We have to service all the trucks, get all the plows on the trucks (i use same trucks during the landscape season then put plows on them for winter) when things break it needs to be fixed. I put out $$ for metal stakes to stake all properties, ice melt, parts for trucks & plows. I have to transport equipment and supplies to the location. When we are working during a storm Im filling up machines & trucks with gas ($$$) The customer paying is not a problem at all. They pay very quickly, its the debt I occur to start up for the season. While im getting ready for the snow I am paying 3 guys weekly payroll as they are still cutting grass, and doing landscaping. I think its just a problem that Im in a hole after a storm so when I do get paid it goes quickly to credit cards, bills, payroll (who worked the storm) any parts that I need etc.
The problem is you do not set aside the cash after the snow season ends for next years snow season.

You gross $100,000 clear $20,000.

Put $20,000 in a separate acount and you are good to go to start up next season.

I don't do large scale snow removal so I don't know if clearing $20,000 from $100,000 is poor, good, great.