Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

wheel motor seal - can they be replaced??

has anyone ever replaced the seal on a wheel motor on a lazer. exmark does not show a replacement seal that i can find and the dealer wants me to buy a new wheel motor. the mower only has 600+ hrs on it and the seal around the axle shaft is leaking bad. thoughts?
thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheCut View Post
has anyone ever replaced the seal on a wheel motor on a lazer. exmark does not show a replacement seal that i can find and the dealer wants me to buy a new wheel motor. the mower only has 600+ hrs on it and the seal around the axle shaft is leaking bad. thoughts?
thanks
A leaking seal is often the result of a failed bearing. It can be replaced if you're mechanically inclined.

Here is a video for a parker wheel motor rebuild from a different piece of equipment but most are similar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlPksNAs-yg

You're going to have to find numbers off of the wheel motor and find a supplier online who can get you the parts.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a link to the Parker wheel motor service manual: http://www.phtruck.com/download/hpm/...rviceParts.pdf
The video ain't much, in that most ZTR motors use smaller needle bearings and one piece vanes ( the big rollers ).
They're really pretty simple. As the video caveman mentioned, what causes the leak at the drive shaft is usually the small outboard needle bearing. I've never had to beat the shaft out of one yet, but like I said, the bearings are way smaller.
I just did one yesterday , you can see some of the parts in my post titled " When rebuilding hydros......." Disregard the dirt and grass, just a joke!
One thing to mention, the motor case and associated plates are hardened steel, you cannot use a punch for the witness marks! Use a small grinder, I use a small cut-off wheel to scribe my lines.

Tomorrow I'll try and take some pics of one as I take it apart, so you can get a good idea of what yer up against. Mayhaps a video later.............

HOW 'BOUT DEM 'O's !!!

......AMF!