Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Backlinks- WEIRD!!

So about a week ago I commented on an article I read on one of my favorite blogs. Now, I just checked my backlinks (as I occasionally do) and it shows a backlink from EVERY PAGE on this huge blog.

Anyone explain this? Not complaining- just don't understand....
Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is there a recent/top comments section on each page? I see this occasionally on Wordpress blogs that don't have their recent comments section no-follow'ed.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure why but I'm not sure how much it helps I think "domain uniqueness" matters for back links for SEO
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjackson View Post
Not sure why but I'm not sure how much it helps I think "domain uniqueness" matters for back links for SEO
It really comes down to Google's view of the source site. Assuming his post wasn't on one of the black hat forums or a known pay-for-links site, I don't think there's much need for punitive concern. Recent comments/Top Comments/Blog Rolls can create these multiple backlinks, and Search recognizes and accounts for this, with it being viewed as a single link a very strong possibility.

As an example, ptjackson, your site is becoming an authority site for the lawn and landscape industry. If you had a "Landscaper of the Month" and a link to their business injected into every page, that landscaper would not likely find himself on the wrong side of Google's temper.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

it's definitely not a black hat site, and shows up #1 for "small biz seo". i think it must be a "blogroll"- though i am not totally clear on what that is

interesting thing- i had to enter my website to post. however, the website is not shown with my original post...
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
it's definitely not a black hat site, and shows up #1 for "small biz seo". i think it must be a "blogroll"- though i am not totally clear on what that is

interesting thing- i had to enter my website to post. however, the website is not shown with my original post...
Assuming I'm looking at the correct site, their comment system does display recent comments on each page, via the right sidebar. All of their outbound links show as nofollows, so who knows. I still think the backlinks are as a result of this. If you want, shoot me a pm and I'll take a look at them. My guess is you'll see them drop off your report sooner rather than later.

Many comment systems have the field for your web site. Whether they publish it or not is usually stated.

A Blog Roll is a list of related/interesting sites that is usually in one of the sidebars.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Tony, Oh I agree. Sorry I didn't mean that it was going to be punitive I just wasn't as valuable as links from all different sites.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Assuming I'm looking at the correct site, their comment system does display recent comments on each page, via the right sidebar. All of their outbound links show as nofollows, so who knows. I still think the backlinks are as a result of this. If you want, shoot me a pm and I'll take a look at them. My guess is you'll see them drop off your report sooner rather than later.

Many comment systems have the field for your web site. Whether they publish it or not is usually stated.

A Blog Roll is a list of related/interesting sites that is usually in one of the sidebars.

Someone just posted on a site or blog about the tallest maple I found.

I was trying to find other references to tallest + maple to see what else others might have found in the past, and the search included the site where the write-up was done on my discovery. There were dozens, at least, if not more, back links, even though it's really on one page.

So I'm sure Google and other search engines have figured out how to deal with that kind of thing so they don't credit the site more than needed.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
So I'm sure Google and other search engines have figured out how to deal with that kind of thing so they don't credit the site more than needed.
Correct. (too short of an an answer, without this extraneous text. lol)
Old 11-04-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
So about a week ago I commented on an article I read on one of my favorite blogs. Now, I just checked my backlinks (as I occasionally do) and it shows a backlink from EVERY PAGE on this huge blog.

Anyone explain this? Not complaining- just don't understand....
I have the same thing for my girlfriends Thai Catering site. Apparently I've been given a succession of PR3 Backlinks ...

I'm not complaining, but I'm not banking on Google counting all the backlinks either.