Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Oh my gosh!
The Pupster is on the attack.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
What I said was added weight would beat the sh it out of the operator all things being equal and hitting rough terrain going fast and for a machine with no real suspension 15 is pretty quick The Pupster . I am just jealouse you have the mower I want but I cannot justify it at the momment.
This is what an uninformed person that has no dog in the weight and longer wheel base mower rides better fight had to say. This means someone that has no idea if a heavier mower with a longer wheel base should ride better or not said it did ride better based on his unbiased opinion, so much better he did not want to recognize the comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
I have used the 72" super z on the same ground as my 60", the 60" deck bounced around 10-15 times as opposed to only ever noticing 1 very slight bounce on the 72" over a decent sized rut. I put this down to the 72" deck being so much heavier. Also noticed that mower a little smoother, but it has a longer wheel base so hard to compare the two, plus was only for 2-3 mins use.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlermidwest View Post
I just came across your talks and I hope you don't mind I jump in. I saw the video of the jumping around you are having. I see the flex forks working as well as they can to keep up with the washboard type lawn. Yes the machine goes in excess of 15MPH but that is just for transport only. It is meant to go from point "A" to point "B" at 15MPH to cut down on transporting it to each job, not mow at that speed. With the limitations on blade tip speed no mower can mow that fast. What is your rear tire pressure at? 14lbs will really get you a hard ride. You can go down as low as 8lbs but me mindful of slopes and curbs. The flex forks are shown at dealers with the same thought of car dealers. When you go test drive a new car is it the stripped down version or does it have the options available being shown. I also noticed your arms are not on the armrests. Lower your hands down on the steering arms and that will allow you to use the arm rest, this will help with the jerking forward and backward. Think of the deck springs as a counter weight for the deck. The closer you bring the two set nuts together the lighter the deck becomes, the further you spread them the heavier it becomes. Any chance of seeing a side by side with another mower video?

Brian O
Just a suggestion from an outside observer. Especially since I used to be one of the guys out there mowing regularly.

If you don't want guys attempting to mow at 15 MPH, then don't allow the blades to be engaged at that speed. Like the Toro Groundsmasters, make it a 2 speed transmission.

I can guarantee that mowing guys will do their best to mow at that speed. Not saying this is the case with the OP, but I'm sure there are guys out there doing it.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I would think the 72 you tried would have jumped more, if weighing more...well that's according to the physics class I got from "Realslowww."
If I was drinking a coffee, I would of spat it over the computer screen! Ouch!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
If I was drinking a coffee, I would of spat it over the computer screen! Ouch!
There are alot of variables here and opinion is #1 and design perameters are another from machine to machine but one fact is for sure if you add more weight to a machine and start running over obstacles at a clip you will feel it more all things being equal.

No matter what Puppy ownes it is the best of the best, we heard his 66 was a special 66 that Hustler specd perfectly just for Puppy and we have already started to hear the same thing about his 72.

Hey Pupster are you on the Excel payroll or something?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
The Pupster is on the attack.
Dont worry mate, this comment would of made it come through my nose!

Had a good laugh at the pair of you!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlermidwest View Post
I just came across your talks and I hope you don't mind I jump in. I saw the video of the jumping around you are having. I see the flex forks working as well as they can to keep up with the washboard type lawn. Yes the machine goes in excess of 15MPH but that is just for transport only. It is meant to go from point "A" to point "B" at 15MPH to cut down on transporting it to each job, not mow at that speed. With the limitations on blade tip speed no mower can mow that fast. What is your rear tire pressure at? 14lbs will really get you a hard ride. You can go down as low as 8lbs but me mindful of slopes and curbs. The flex forks are shown at dealers with the same thought of car dealers. When you go test drive a new car is it the stripped down version or does it have the options available being shown. I also noticed your arms are not on the armrests. Lower your hands down on the steering arms and that will allow you to use the arm rest, this will help with the jerking forward and backward. Think of the deck springs as a counter weight for the deck. The closer you bring the two set nuts together the lighter the deck becomes, the further you spread them the heavier it becomes. Any chance of seeing a side by side with another mower video?

Brian O
As soon as I read that line, I knew a lot of us would be quoting you and highlighting that particular line. I have been saying that same thing for a very long time, and my opinion was based off of doing some simple math to arrive at that conclusion. I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

I agree with Mark Oomkes on making the deck only able to be engaged at whatever speed you determine to be appropriate below full tranport speed to avoid any confusion (and maybe save on some warranty issues from the harsh beating that will happen to many machines run on rough ground at that speed). If it is there to try at full sticks, anyone who gets the chance will.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
i have cut some steep slopes on the hustler, same slopes as I did with the dixon, in the areas the dixon would stay on the slope and only slide downwards a little, the hustler slides down completely. this is on quite steep slope & would be simply the heavier weight. But its not much of an issue as this one is very steep, other slopes im on its slides slightly, whereby the old one wouldnt slide at all, but not enough to bother me so the handling on slopes is good considering its extra weight. But best to try for yourself off coarse.

I have used the 72" super z on the same ground as my 60", the 60" deck bounced around 10-15 times as opposed to only ever noticing 1 very slight bounce on the 72" over a decent sized rut. I put this down to the 72" deck being so much heavier. Also noticed that mower a little smoother, but it has a longer wheel base so hard to compare the two, plus was only for 2-3 mins use.
More than likely the smoothness of the 72 if it was the new style Super was because the added weight is loading the drive better and slowing it down a little, your problem could be the stiffer chasses is transmitting more energy to the deck by not flexing and slinging it up. The 72 deck being heavier stays glued better to the frame but on the riding chasses itself you do not want it be glued to the rough terrain you want it to skim over it at speed that is what will make a lighter machine ride better rather than a heavy one that rides down in the ruts.

It is all application dependent but for going fast comfortably over rough choppy terrain weight and a stiff frame suck! you just need good suspenders to compensate.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry guys but the SZ is capable of mowing at full stick. Just need the right conditions, ie short dry grass and a smooth surface. That said, the grass I cut is pretty dense like bermuda so not really worried about vacuum etc.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I mowed at full stuck a couple times today but only because it was very smooth. Most of the time I'm at half or less.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread